• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Process Servers Harassing a Third Party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LanceTau

I am located in California.

For the past 3 weeks a process server calls my home 1-2 times a day demanding to speak to an acquaintance who has never lived here nor have I seen for years. Other than being in the same college class with this guy and going to a few parties with him, I haven't a clue where this person might be. And now the process server is getting downright rude. Is this server violating any laws? Are there laws that protect third parties, or must I endure this forever? Help!

justalayman

tell him to stop calling you as you have no information on the person they are seeking. Further inform them if they continue to harass you you will call the police and report their actions.

If they call back, call the police.

Other than that, rather than talking to the guy, if you have caller ID, simply refuse to answer the call or, pick it up and immediately hang it up or, if you do not have caller ID or the number is blocked, when answering, when you discover who it is, simply hang up the phone.

Mass_Shyster

When he calls, tell him you'll check to see if deadbeat is around. Put the phone down and walk away. Go about your day, and when you get around to it, put the phone back on the hook. If you want, pick up the phone every so often and tell him you're still looking.

Proserpina

When he calls, tell him you'll check to see if deadbeat is around. Put the phone down and walk away. Go about your day, and when you get around to it, put the phone back on the hook. If you want, pick up the phone every so often and tell him you're still looking.

Failing that, hand the phone over to your toddler.

Then do what Stevef suggests. Rinse, repeat. Often.

Hot Topic

Funny, but if my telephone is off the hook for a period of time, it disconnects.

If you have voice mail on your telephone, the caller may be foolish enough to leave a message, which you can then report as harassment.

taglitigation

Process Server Harassment

Being a process server myself I can appreciate the servers tenacity. But if the defendent that he is looking for is not at your address there are two things you can do. 1. Find the defendent and give the information to the server that will send him on his way. 2. Lodge a complaint. In California, process servers are registered. Check to see if he is a member of Calspro, and complain throught them, or check with the county clerk on how to lodge a complaint.

asiny

Being a process server myself I can appreciate the servers tenacity. But if the defendent that he is looking for is not at your address there are two things you can do. 1. Find the defendent and give the information to the server that will send him on his way. 2. Lodge a complaint. In California, process servers are registered. Check to see if he is a member of Calspro, and complain throught them, or check with the county clerk on how to lodge a complaint.
Now this is exactly the kind of great advice that this site is here for. A brand new user steps up and delivers advice from the 'horse's mouth' that is spot on to the OP. Well done to taglitigation.
Welcome to the board. Hope to see you post some more advice akin to this in the future.

justalayman

Now this is exactly the kind of great advice that this site is here for. A brand new user steps up and delivers advice from the 'horse's mouth' that is spot on to the OP. Well done to taglitigation.
Welcome to the board. Hope to see you post some more advice akin to this in the future.
great advice? Some of it; yes but suggesting the harassed person locate the intended defendant being great advice? If you like that advice, how about you show up at my job and do my work for me while I go and have coffee.

That is exactly what the server is attempting to do: get somebody else to do his job in locating the intended recipient. I think the server simply needs to learn to do his job without harassing others into doing his work for him.

Personally, if the OP wants to be nice to the server, they can take the time to check into Calspro and chase that route. If it was me, I would simply call the police and report him as harassing me and file a complaint so the server would be dealt with in a manner he would tend to not continue his actions either with me or any other person. The server has no business being an ass about this and harassing anybody and should be dealt with in the most severe manner possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">