• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Defender not prepared in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadingeorgia

What is the name of your state?Georgia..The public defender that was assigned to handle my husbands case met with him only ONE time (2 days before court) was obviously NOT prepared and graduated from law school only 8 months prior to trial date. Needless to say, he was found guilty. What (if anything) can be done AFTER his conviction? New Trial? What can we do to bring out ALL the evidence that should have been brought out 6 months ago? I can't seem to find any answers. Feeling helpless and hopeless...

stephenk

do you believe your hubby was guilty of the charges?

you can hire an attorney to file an appeal if you want.

sadingeorgia

stephenk said:
do you believe your hubby was guilty of the charges?

you can hire an attorney to file an appeal if you want.
No, I don't believe he was or is guilty of the charges. The alleged crime occurred in march of 2003, he wasn't even arrested until June of 2004 and his case was heard in court March of 2005. His attorney was appointed in June of 2004, and we were working with one court appointed attorney and then in January of 2005, the case was given to another attorney as our county was revamping the public defenders office and trying to distribute the case load more evenly among the new attornies that were brought in during that time. She was given the case in January, but didn't even speak with us until a few days before the actual court date. We gave her a reason for motive which started this whole mess in the first place, but she didn't want to use that as she said it would only hurt his character and she didn't want him to look any worse in front of the jury than he already did. She didn't even want him to take the stand which he didn't. His attorney even stated that she didn't think he was guilty, but I am sure attornies say that to all their clients. His court appointed attorney filed an appeal right after the conviction, so if there is already an appeal filed, how can a new attorney help me? Do they file a separate appeal or is it an addendum to the appeal already filed. From my understanding, a person is allowed 3 appeals, so does this affect that in any way? By this question I mean, is one appeal used up from his court appointed attorney and then another appeal used from an attorney that I hire? Thank you for any advice you have. I am learning more and more about the law as this case progresses, but having a court appointed attorney has really thrown me into an area I know nothing about. That is why I am selling some of my stuff to be able to hire an attorney who will actually try to prove that he is innocent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">