• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Legal Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cashmere04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Over a year ago, I was charged with misdemeanor larceny in the state of North Carolina. Being a first time offender, I opted to do the deferred prosecution, which would mean the charges were dismissed after community service and a period of time. After consulting an attorney, he gave me the deferred prosecution paperwork to fill out and while filling out the paperwork with the paralegal, I inquired as to the fees. She said he is normally very generous with his student clients and not to worry about it. Naively, I did not worry about it until six months later when I recieved a bill for $1000. I immediately called the office and she told me not to worry about it, she would take care of it. This was in July of 2008. Fast forward to today, when I get a call saying the bill was reduced to 500 but I still need to pay or they are going to take me to collections. I am not really sure what to do at this point, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Over a year ago, I was charged with misdemeanor larceny in the state of North Carolina. Being a first time offender, I opted to do the deferred prosecution, which would mean the charges were dismissed after community service and a period of time. After consulting an attorney, he gave me the deferred prosecution paperwork to fill out and while filling out the paperwork with the paralegal, I inquired as to the fees. She said he is normally very generous with his student clients and not to worry about it. Naively, I did not worry about it until six months later when I recieved a bill for $1000. I immediately called the office and she told me not to worry about it, she would take care of it. This was in July of 2008. Fast forward to today, when I get a call saying the bill was reduced to 500 but I still need to pay or they are going to take me to collections. I am not really sure what to do at this point, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
**A: after much legal research I have decided that you should pay the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">