• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questiong lawyer loyalty ooops 2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kitcat2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA.

For some reason my post didn't post so I'm trying again. My lawyer was a very good advocate for me in the beginning but I have lost faith in her. We had a very good relationship until I talked back and questioned what I saw. We had gone to court for nonpayment of rent. I had held back paying my rent because of the condition of my apartment, I had copies of all the communication between myself and management, I had pictures of all the problems I was having but I never got the chance to use any of this. My lawyer opened with my nonpayment and as soon as the judge heard I hadn't paid my rent he shut down and didn't want to hear anything else he immediately found in favor of my landlord. I always thought it was a bad move to open with my not paying rent but kept my thought to myself.
There were other things that bothered me I caught her lying to me several times and other tings where she was just plain nasty but I kept my thoughts to myself, I didn't want to chance losing her but came the day I did tell her how I saw things and that was the end of any resemblance of caring about me or the cases she was handling for me.
We recently had won a suit and I was awarded 15,000 dollars and she told me to forget it I would not get a penny. I have another one coming up and feel strongly she could care less and I have lost all faith in her as an advocate and don't know what I should do. What is the point when your lawyer isn't on your side?
Cat

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA.

For some reason my post didn't post so I'm trying again. My lawyer was a very good advocate for me in the beginning but I have lost faith in her. We had a very good relationship until I talked back and questioned what I saw. We had gone to court for nonpayment of rent. I had held back paying my rent because of the condition of my apartment, I had copies of all the communication between myself and management, I had pictures of all the problems I was having but I never got the chance to use any of this. My lawyer opened with my nonpayment and as soon as the judge heard I hadn't paid my rent he shut down and didn't want to hear anything else he immediately found in favor of my landlord. I always thought it was a bad move to open with my not paying rent but kept my thought to myself.
There were other things that bothered me I caught her lying to me several times and other tings where she was just plain nasty but I kept my thoughts to myself, I didn't want to chance losing her but came the day I did tell her how I saw things and that was the end of any resemblance of caring about me or the cases she was handling for me.
We recently had won a suit and I was awarded 15,000 dollars and she told me to forget it I would not get a penny. I have another one coming up and feel strongly she could care less and I have lost all faith in her as an advocate and don't know what I should do. What is the point when your lawyer isn't on your side?
Cat
If you are unhappy with your attorney, you find another attorney who you think will better represent your interests.

Dave1952

The State Bar may be interested in the $15000 that your attorney has. You may complain here.
http://www.mass.gov/obcbbo/complaint.htm

quincy

The State Bar may be interested in the $15000 that your attorney has. You may complain here.
http://www.mass.gov/obcbbo/complaint.htm
I am reading this differently than you, Dave1952.

I don't think the attorney has the $15,000 but rather there either was a judgment for $15,000 that the lawyer thinks will be hard to collect OR the attorney did not have faith that kitcat would win a judgment for $15,000.

If the attorney has held onto $15,000 owed to kitcat, that goes a bit beyond questioning lawyer "loyalty," which is the title of the thread. But, if you are right and I am wrong, a complaint to the Bar would certainly be something for kitcat to consider. :)

TigerD

I am reading this differently than you, Dave1952.

I don't think the attorney has the $15,000 but rather there either was a judgment for $15,000 that the lawyer thinks will be hard to collect OR the attorney did not have faith that kitcat would win a judgment for $15,000.

If the attorney has held onto $15,000 owed to kitcat, that goes a bit beyond questioning lawyer "loyalty," which is the title of the thread. But, if you are right and I am wrong, a complaint to the Bar would certainly be something for kitcat to consider. :)
I read that to mean the OP won but would never collect it.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">