• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quitting r.i. high school to avoid truancy court orders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laura Barone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Rhode Island and my daughter is 16 years old in involved in the school truancy court system. She has been court ordered by the magistrate to attend counseling and says she will quit school to avoid this. If she quits school will she still be forced to do what the court has ordered or does everything involved with the truancy just go out the window?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Rhode Island and my daughter is 16 years old in involved in the school truancy court system. She has been court ordered by the magistrate to attend counseling and says she will quit school to avoid this. If she quits school will she still be forced to do what the court has ordered or does everything involved with the truancy just go out the window?
What part of the phrase COURT ORDER is ambiguous?

Antigone*

Looks to me like mom and dad need to sit in class. A friend of mine actually did that with her daughter. It did a couple of things. #1 ~ She realized that she was not the boss, and #2 ~ It embarrassed her daughter so badly that didn't dare try anymore stunts because she knew that mom or dad would gladly attend class with her again.

A 16-year old has no authority to "quit school". Only her parents have that authority.

Needless to say, any parent who would do that is even dumber than the child.

GaAtty

GaAtty

This question should have been under education law.

It is not very difficult to see why she is in the magistrate's court for truancy. She clearly does not understand the difference in things that she gets to choose to do, and things that she HAS to do. She is not allowed to be truant, and she is not allowed to quit school. Period. I suspect that the magistrate may hold her in contempt and send her to juvenile detention. You would probably help her if you would start teaching her that with regard to attending school, there is no option whatsoever. In many states the parent is charged with a misdemeanor if the child continues to be truant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">