• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recourse on Tax "expert" lawyer California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joanntyson

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I live in Florida but had to hire an tax attorney in California to respond to the Franchise Tax board and the EDD who had sent large (and incorrect) assessments to us demanding payment. I got a referral from a local branch here and was assured that she was an expert in these matters.

For over 2 months and $6000, she sent letters and left messages for both the EDD and Franchise Tax board but nothing was getting resolved. As a last chance effort, I did some personal research and discoverd that both branches had a tax advocate department. Spoke to the one at the Franchise Tax board and within 4 hours, received a cancellation of our $25,000 assessment with an apology for the inconvenience. Our lawyer was shocked.

For the EDD, she couldn't even get anyone to call her back. Today I find out through the Tax Advocate and the auditing department that we could have appealed the assessment when we received it. Any "expert" lawyer should have known the procedure. So I am personally appealing it and working with the auditor to try and resolve this issue as well.

Did she properly handle my case? Do I have any recourse for a partial refund?

S

seniorjudge

Joanntyson said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I live in Florida but had to hire an tax attorney in California to respond to the Franchise Tax board and the EDD who had sent large (and incorrect) assessments to us demanding payment. I got a referral from a local branch here and was assured that she was an expert in these matters.

For over 2 months and $6000, she sent letters and left messages for both the EDD and Franchise Tax board but nothing was getting resolved. As a last chance effort, I did some personal research and discoverd that both branches had a tax advocate department. Spoke to the one at the Franchise Tax board and within 4 hours, received a cancellation of our $25,000 assessment with an apology for the inconvenience. Our lawyer was shocked.

For the EDD, she couldn't even get anyone to call her back. Today I find out through the Tax Advocate and the auditing department that we could have appealed the assessment when we received it. Any "expert" lawyer should have known the procedure. So I am personally appealing it and working with the auditor to try and resolve this issue as well.

Did she properly handle my case? Do I have any recourse for a partial refund?

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/search/member.aspx

If you feel your attorney in CA is unethical, start here....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">