• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund from Attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m231tt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
Good afternoon,
I had hired an attorney to work on my child's adoption. Fortunately, the adoption went through without a hitch six months ago, after about a 17 month process.

The other day I received a bill from my attorney, outlining every single hour she had spend on our case since our first meeting. She also included every payment we had made to her and by her records, we still owed her $1,200. After thoroughly reviewing the bill, we realized she had not included a $3,000 payment we had given her (we have a copy of the check and it has been cashed).

My question is this... are we in fact entitled to a refund?

My gut says that yes, we should be, but I'm somewhat anticipating a fight from her. I suspect that business has been slow for her, hence her sending a bill six months after our last contact. Had she not sent the bill, I wouldn't have realized just how much we overpaid her.

THANKS for any and all feedback!

SIN EATER

It certainly appears that you overpaid.
I would send a certified letter with a copy of the uncredited check & ask for the refund to be remitted asap.

If the refund isn't sent, I would file in small claims court against her, using her billing as proof re monies due.

It is a violation of any state's Professional Rules for attorneys to put payments directly into their personal or business accounts - the $ should go into an IOLTA account and only be transferred into the personal/business attorney account after the $ is earned.

It was a serious bookkeeping error, as it shows she's not complying with her State Bar Rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">