• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund of legal fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donna78201

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
I hired a lawyer for my child custody case, the father and I came to an agreement and I informed my lawyer that his services were no longer needed. He has delayed returning the money given him because he said that he has to have a written order from the court grating him permission to withdraw from the case. Am I mistaken in thinking that any atty/client contract is an at will contract and that if I no longer need his services, then our contract terminates. He has been delaying this for months now. The agreement that the father and I signed has already been signed by the court and is in effect. What should I do? Thanks!!!!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
I hired a lawyer for my child custody case, the father and I came to an agreement and I informed my lawyer that his services were no longer needed. He has delayed returning the money given him because he said that he has to have a written order from the court grating him permission to withdraw from the case. Am I mistaken in thinking that any atty/client contract is an at will contract and that if I no longer need his services, then our contract terminates. He has been delaying this for months now. The agreement that the father and I signed has already been signed by the court and is in effect. What should I do? Thanks!!!!!
Until the court grants him the right to withdraw he is your attorney. Is your case closed? How did a judge sign off on an agreement that your counsel of record was not a part?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">