• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restitution requiring moneygram payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

booklady4714

I live in Illinois, but was contacted by a Deputy City Attorney of Miami to send $40 via Moneygram to yet another individual in another town for restitution that I know I would be owed if this is true. I initially agreed, but then questioned why forms had to be mailed separately via FedEx and I had to pay. I also wanted to know who this other person was.

So, I called the attorney back, and asked him why I had to pay to receive money owed to me. He got a bit upset and said if I did not want it, they would distribute it accordingly. He was very insistent that I get the money to the other man as quickly as possible, so that he could get the paperwork on the truck today.

When I pressed about who the man was I was sending the money to, he got more upset. He said it was some worker at the courthouse there, and he didn't know who he was. "Why would I have told you about someone I know nothing about?!"

He then kept telling me that he knew information that no one else could know about my case and he knew I had been taken advantage of many times in the past. That was why he was not asking for my CC number.

His name is JXXXX. He made me feel very uncomfortable and pressured. He kept saying, "I'm waving the usual fees" and the like about what I could normally expect in a restitution case. He claimed that he had a $1300 check in my name because of the company that had ripped me off in the first place.

If this is legit, $40 is a small price to pay. But, something doesn't feel right. Am I supposed to be a victim here again?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Illinois, but was contacted by a Deputy City Attorney of Miami to send $40 via Moneygram to yet another individual in another town for restitution that I know I would be owed if this is true. I initially agreed, but then questioned why forms had to be mailed separately via FedEx and I had to pay. I also wanted to know who this other person was.

So, I called the attorney back, and asked him why I had to pay to receive money owed to me. He got a bit upset and said if I did not want it, they would distribute it accordingly. He was very insistent that I get the money to the other man as quickly as possible, so that he could get the paperwork on the truck today.

When I pressed about who the man was I was sending the money to, he got more upset. He said it was some worker at the courthouse there, and he didn't know who he was. "Why would I have told you about someone I know nothing about?!"

He then kept telling me that he knew information that no one else could know about my case and he knew I had been taken advantage of many times in the past. That was why he was not asking for my CC number.

His name is Jxxx. He made me feel very uncomfortable and pressured. He kept saying, "I'm waving the usual fees" and the like about what I could normally expect in a restitution case. He claimed that he had a $1300 check in my name because of the company that had ripped me off in the first place.

If this is legit, $40 is a small price to pay. But, something doesn't feel right. Am I supposed to be a victim here again?
I'm gonna vote for scam.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingRon

This is a scam. Stop talking to him, and don't send any money to anyone.
Absolutely. No legitimate business uses WU/Moneygram. WU even warns you NOT to do this. Once you send them the transaction information they can pick it up anywhere in the world.

Prosecutors don't act like this either.

quincy

Stating or implying on a public forum that a named or easily-identifiable person may be or is involved in a scam is not a smart idea.

Using real names to legitimize a scam is not uncommon nor is asking for money to be sent prior to receiving money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">