• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retainer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hook Em Horns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. This doesn't have to do with lawyer malpractice but I wasn't really sure where to post. I retained an attorney approximately 7 years ago for a child custody matter. My ex and I ended up coming to an agreement so not much work was done by my attorney. Yesterday I was cleaning out my filing cabinet and came across my contract and final bill from the attorney. It shows I have a $3200 credit left in my trust. I couldn't find anywhere in the contract about the retainer being non-refundable. Normally I would blow something like this off but $3200 is quite a bit of money plus I'd always assumed that a retainer was automatically non-refundable. Is it possible to get a refund even after all this time? How long does an attorney have to maintain a client's trust account? Thanks in advance.

Hook Em Horns

That would depend entirely on what you signed with them. What did they say when you contacted them?
I haven't yet. I wanted to check on here first to see if there was some kind of time frame between getting a refund or waiting too long. I feel silly that it's taken 7 years to realize, duh....you have a credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">