• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement from class action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GregSS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was a member of a class action suit against Wachovia Mortgage for illegal marketing practices and failing to disclose full impact of the negative amitorization of the loan. The suit has settled and I recieved a check for $187.00. This hardly represents an equitable settlement as the loan accrued $55,000 in Negative amortized intrest. Is there any additional legal recourse since the class action has settled?

LillianX

In filing a claim as part of the class action suit, you agreed to waive your right to sue separately, and accept the settlement, whatever it was, as payment in full. You were not made whole. You can, however, rest assured that the firm that represented the Class in this case made millions.

Aren't mass torts fun?

tranquility

No. You have sued for the particular transaction or occurrence where your purported loss developed. Any other suit on the same facts will have a defense of claim preclusion and will be without merit. (aka Res judicata)

You Are Guilty

In filing a claim as part of the class action suit, you agreed to waive your right to sue separately, and accept the settlement, whatever it was, as payment in full. You were not made whole. You can, however, rest assured that the firm that represented the Class in this case made millions.

Aren't mass torts fun?
I'm too lazy to pull it off Pacer to confirm, but it appears that the lawyers got $25 million.
https://pickapaysettlement.com/About_this_Settlement/FAQs.aspx

GregSS

The Lawyers are the only one swho make out in a class action

Yep,$25 Million. Plus another million to sendout the checks. Do they not have a responsibility to pursue an equitable settlement for the members of the class?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">