• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I have to pay for lawyer to correct his mistake?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cherrymishmash

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I hired an attorney to send wage garnishments to my out-of-state ex for current alimony.
The attorney had the payments sent to the Family Support Registry, which was the wrong place since they only deal with alimony when current child support is collected, which is not my case.

After a time I still wasn't receiving any payments, so I did research and found out the above information.

I told my attorney that the orders have to be re-done since the payments were being sent to the wrong place, as they should be sent directly to me.
He did, but also charged me over $500 to re-do it.

I'm of the disposition that this was his mistake and I shouldn't have to pay for the correction.
I did sign the original withholding documents that stated the payments were going to Family Support, but at the time I assumed this was correct since he's the lawyer and should know about matters like this.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">