• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I report my lawyer to the bar?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Runnindaplace

What is the name of your state?Florida

In 2001, I hired a workers compensation lawyer in Florida. I received IB benefits in March of 2003. At the awarding of my benefits the judge also rendered my ex-employee's worker's comp insurance liable for her attorney fees. My attorney withheld $2000 from my benefits for uncovered expenses-which from my understanding usually includes small things like postage, copies, and phone charges. In June of 2004, I fired my attorney and hired a new one. Prior to firing her, on two seperate occassions, I sent her letters requesting that she send me a statement of the uncovered expenses. She never responded. Needless to say, she then placed a lien on my settlement. Also, as of January 2005, she had not yet sent her bill to the employer's insurance company to be paid. All the while, she is still holding on to my $2000. My case was settled in January 2005 and the settlement included language that held the employer's insurance company liable for any and all liens attached to my case. She was notified of this fact by my current attorney after my case was settled. I received my settlement in full. I waited two months and sent her another letter on March 5, kindly requesting that she send me an itemized bill of the expenses she felt that I was liable for by March 23. Still no response. My case is settled and she still has not responded to any of my requests. I know that I can contact the Florida Bar and request a fee arbitration, but she has been so bullheaded, I don't think that would work. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">