• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shouldn't attorney give final bill? or retainer refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lima_charlie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I hired an attorney to represent me in a guardianship case.

We went to court once, and I elected not to pursue the case. The attorney went to court on my behalf and ended the case. That was in August 2008....

Fast forward to April 2009-I called the office and asked for a final bill. Never received one. On July 31, 2009, I sent a certified letter to the attorney requesting a final bill and a refund of the remaining retainer.

To date, I have not received any correspondence back from the attorney. I really just want to get the final bill; although I am curious how much of the retainer was used. I would imagine that if I owed money, I would certainly have received that bill!!!

I was going to give it 30 days-and then send another letter. After that, is it necessary to contact the CA State Bar? I'm not sure what to do after that...

Thanks for any assistance!

las365

I'd say it's time for you to contact the State Bar. They should have a section that handles fee disputes.

You should absolutely receive an accounting of the time spent and expenses incurred in your case, and a refund of the remaining retainer, if any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">