• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple minded person needs advise as to Unreasonable Fee's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

svanogle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?California

Being sued for Breach of Contract by a group that purchased my bad debt. I had filed an answer checked marked the statue of limitations has run, however not correctly, I guess because the next thing I knew a summary of judgment was issued. The day before my trial date I hired an attorney. I gave him $2500 retainer right then.

It was presented to me that the attorney was experienced in this type of case and it should have been routine legal problem. I was alarmed to receive the first bill, which was not even a full month, only two weeks and he already consumed the entire retainer of $2500, and $186.10 more. Feeling that two weeks was not enough time to make a judgment with regards to his billing ethnics’, I hesitantly sent him $1000 more. After receiving his second bill, I was doubtful that he was handling my case in my best interest or in a way that is costly and inefficient in order to raise fees. I am unconvinced that he did not pad his bill. At his request I attempted to identify the specific charges that I had issue with, I tried but was unsuccessful because of vague billing entries and lumped billing. The total amount he has charged me $12,000.

He has amended my answer and fought against the summary of judgment and won. Claim for breach of contract under the Promissory Note is barred by the
Statute of limitations as loan holder demanded full payment of the principal and
Interest of approximately $25,000 on the Note from defendants in 1998. More than nine years since defendants defaulted under the terms of the Note in May 1998.

Maybe I am just a simple minded person however; it seems to me for this amount of work his fees are unreasonable. I did do research on this guy after the fact, and he has filed suit for unpaid fee’s from many of his other clients, even one that had died, and went after homeless ex-wife and won due to her inability to make her court date. Very shady dude.

Can someone help me find my way through all the legal steps in order to shut down this Debit Collector as well as the step required to fight the attorney’s unreasonable fees.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">