• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sorry about that...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

romgirl5

Bear with me, I'm new, lol--

Anyway, I have a question regarding a family law attorney I retained for my dissolution of marriage : this is a contested divorce, however, it's a fairly simple one in that my ex and I share no assets or property, etc. and we agree on most things -(except child support amounts and custody of our 5 year old daughter) my ex does not even have his own attorney. My lawyer has served my ex the divorce petition, and filed that with the temporary proposed parenting plan as well as a summons andmy ex filed his response...and here is where it gets odd...my lawyer is M.I.A-meaning , he has gone no further: I retained his services almost TWO YEARS ago(!) I've called, left messages, written letters, to no avail; his paralegal gives me the complete runaround and I have not actually spoken to him for over a year now--I have no clue what's going on with my case, where he's gone, what's up and after all this time I'm still legally binded to my ex--I paid this attorney a retainer sum of $2,000.00 up front and I'm just about at my wits end wondering what's gone wrong. All the info. I look up regarding child support, etc. is almost always based upon there already being a court ordered judgment-Do I have to go ahead and do this all myself? This can't be a normal procedure ( Can it?!) If someone has any similar stories Please offer me some insight as to what, possibly, might be going on...thank you so much for your time.
Wa state

JETX

romgirl5 said:
Do I have to go ahead and do this all myself?
Send the attorney ONE more letter (by certified RRR) asking him to contact you within the next 5 days to discuss your case.

While waiting those 5 days, go out and find yourself another attorney. Then, when the 5 days is up and if he doesn't respond, have your new attorney draw up a 'Subsitution of Attorney' and file it, and fire your previous attorney... and request ALL files on your case. After you get them, you can review the case and see if you feel that a refund of some of your money is warranted.... and proceed if needed.

Last edited:

romgirl5

I appreciate the feedback-

I'll take your advice -If the final letter doesn't do it though, I'm considering filing a grievance with the State Bar Association although I don't know if they'll be interested in investigating...Thank you for responding so quickly. You Rock mah man!

S~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">