• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student using the courts to gain experience?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I recently was fired from a criminal law firm after 6 weeks because I didn't have enough criminal experience. Destitute and now indigent, I got a traffic ticket 2 days later (two of them). I feel that if I have to pay $240 I might as well use the court system to gain experience that I lack and since I am indigent, I have more time than money. I pled not guilty and got my collateral waived. Is it wrong to plead not guilty when you prob deserve the ticket? I am slightly masochistic and feel that I am guilty even when I may not be. Is it ethical to demand a summary trial so I can see how things work? I flip flop? Why should I let them take me down without a fight. I had a cigarrette with the Judge and I observed a few of her hearings, she seems humane so I'm considering offering to do community service if that is something I can bring as an option. The judge liked my hair and said it went well with my face so she might be a reasonable person.

Just Blue

I recently was fired from a criminal law firm after 6 weeks because I didn't have enough criminal experience. Destitute and now indigent, I got a traffic ticket 2 days later (two of them). I feel that if I have to pay $240 I might as well use the court system to gain experience that I lack and since I am indigent, I have more time than money. I pled not guilty and got my collateral waived. Is it wrong to plead not guilty when you prob deserve the ticket? I am slightly masochistic and feel that I am guilty even when I may not be. Is it ethical to demand a summary trial so I can see how things work? I flip flop? Why should I let them take me down without a fight. I had a cigarrette with the Judge and I observed a few of her hearings, she seems humane so I'm considering offering to do community service if that is something I can bring as an option. The judge liked my hair and said it went well with my face so she might be a reasonable person.
What illness do you suffer from?:(

quincy

It is not wrong to plead not guilty if you think there is a legitimate reason to fight the ticket you received. There are better ways to learn about the court system, though. And, if you are having problems paying $240, courts will often offer a payment arrangement and I have known some judges who will let you "work" off the fine by doing community service.

Just because a judge likes your hair does not mean she is not a tough judge when she is behind the bench.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">