• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Substitution of Attorney and my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gogh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Question about Substitution of Attorney

My (plaintiff) property damage case settled. In my settlement agreement I agreed to sign a “recordable document” so the settlement agreement can be recorded with the County Recorder. The settlement agreement was the typical language about releasing defendants. The documented to be recorded was drafted and presented by the Defendant’s attorney and titled, a “Recordable Release”. The Defendants attorney submitted the document to the County for recordation, but the Recorder’s office rejected it stating there was no provision to record such document. My first question is, “are settlement agreements the type of documents that are required or authorized by law to be recorded with the County?”

Since it wasn’t recordable, my attorney specifically instructed the Defendant’s attorney as to how to draft another document that hopefully the county will accept for recordation, and titled it Boundary Line Agreement. Our case had absolutely nothing to do with a dispute or uncertainty about our (me & my neighbor’s) boundary lines, so I objected because it’s false. I also told him (in a letter) that I was displeased that he was advising the Defendant’s Attorney on how to draft another document against me with an invalid title, and that I objected to signing the new document. And also asked why didn’t he uphold the County Recorder’s rejection and request the case be closed. My second question is, “don’t I have the right to object to this new document because it’s not true?

My attorney wrote back and said he wishes to resign from the case since I’m not taking his advice regarding signing the new document and since I said was displeased with his service. He didn’t address any of my concerns, he just sent me the substitution of attorney form to sign.

Note: My case was settled and my attorney received his full attorney’s fee, along with all the outside costs incurred in pursuing my claim, so the balance is zero. The hearing to dismiss the case is in a couple of weeks.
My following questions are:
1. , “Since he’s been paid in full and the case is not dismissed yet, Can he do this?
2. I do not agree with him discharging himself. I want him to still represent me (especially since he’s been paid for this case and it’s not dismissed yet). What can I do about this?
3. Assuming I don’t sign the Substitution, what are the next steps he might take (i.e. will there be hearing in front of the judge)?

1. Yes, if he has a qualifying reason. I believe the client's failure to follow the attorney's legal advice is an acceptable reason to end the attorney-client relationship, but it would depend on how significant the particular issue is to the case. It is likely he will have to return any money received for work not yet performed.

2. Well you could make him file a request to withdraw as counsel and make your case at the hearing. I believe he would be required to continue representation until his motion is approved, which may be after the dismissal hearing.

Of course, the best course of action is to simply speak with him about continuing. Let him know the case is almost over and you still want him to represent you and ask him if there's a way you can work things out.

3. He'll probably file a motion asking the court for permission to withdraw as your counsel. You will have to file a response and then there will be a hearing.

tranquility

I agree with Sloop John D and add, you may be in breach of your settlement agreement if you don't sign a recordable document. I suggest you do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">