• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax firm no help with IRS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tylerdg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico.
Several years ago I was very sick, could not work and ran up IRS bills due to withdrawal of retirement funds. After several years I owed 65,000. I engaged TAX INC or California to the tune of $6500 to help me. They said it would be one on one with an attorney etc. Everytime I called they: 1. Said my rep. was out 2. Gave me a new rep. 3. Asked for more info. 4. Sent forms which were way off any info I gave them. 5. Said I needed to send in 2000 more because I had not signed a power of attorney in a timely matter 6. Have done zero to help me. I want my 6500 back and the info I sent them.
Can I sue in NM small claims court?

Thank you.

steven200738

I feel for you because I had similar problems with the IRS myself. I also hired an out of state lawyer that specialized in dealing with IRS tax issues. I got away with paying $4,500. They would send me documents to fill out and I would return them with all the information filled out correctly. Everytime they would send me back more documents to fill out, and I did. Of all the times I called to speak to my lawyer, I NEVER spoke to the same person twice. It took them roughly a year to file my offer in comprimise. It was denied. I waited about six months or so and decided to try it again myself. I was successful, but I learned a valuable lesson. I still see commercials for Ronni and cringe everytime I do. I will never hire an out of state lawyer again. Local only, so I can actually get face time.

I'm wondering why would you sue New Mexico? What would the claims against them be and how much would you be seeking? I would think you would sue the tax firm if anyone.

Dandy Don

Look for the New Mexico Secretary of State's website to do a business search to see if the tax company is registered to do business in your state. If they are registered, then you can sue them in New Mexico and send their registered agent for service of process the notice that you are suing, but first check with the small claims court to see if the amount of damages you are seeking falls within the range of the suits that their court hears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">