• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated because of hipaa violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graceperiod

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Hello!,
I worked for a contract employer for the military facility. A co-worker of mine had someone (active military personell) pull out a patient information from the system. one of our volunteer spoke to the patient and my part in this scenario was that i dialed the phone. the supervisor (contract staff) of the military facility investagated as a result we found ourselves at the office of our contract employer and was terminated. we were informed that we will not be paid for all the accrued hours we had left (vacation time) and that she said all that was forfetied. and that she also said that there is a possibility of losing our license due to this hippa violation. to note also the actual person (active military personnel) who pulled out the private information remains in the facility. three concerns, is it legal that i don't get paid for accumulated hrs (vacation time). and is there a possibility for us to lose our license. another thing the active personell above the hippa law that he remains in the facility or what. need some legal advice. thank you.

swalsh411

It is perfectly legal to fire an employee for a HIPAA violation, or a suspected HIPAA violation, or something that the employer thinks is a HIPAA violation but isn't. It is also legal not to fire an employee for this, or to fire some but not others.

In CA you must be paid out for accrued vacation time at termination. Your employer cannot take it away from you as punishment. Contact the DLSE if you are terminated and they fail to pay out your vacation.

Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE)

You didn't say what license you are worried about losing but that is something you could probably find out by contacting whatever organization handles those licenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">