• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there attorney client privilege in initial consultation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mau99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I had a 2 hour initial consultation with an atty who sd that she was going to have her partner sit in because he might have to substitute for her in court sometimes, so she wanted him to know the case. He sat in for 10 minutes;
asked me a question, which I ansrd, and then he argued with me, and sd he was going home. I was there for 2 more hours for which I was charged for,
and at the end I got the feeling from things she said, that her partner had to approve her taking the case. She didn't tell me this; she told me she had to ask him how much of a retainer I would have to pay upfront. Also, when I called to set up the appointment, she kept me on the phone for an hour asking questions about the case, but then at the appointment, asked me everything all over again, like she didn't take notes when she was talking to me on the phone. Then she sends me an invoice saying she wasn't charging for the half hour on the phone, which was acturally an hour, but was all for nothing! This was last Tuesday, and she was supposed to call me on Wednesday with the info on the retainer. I have called and have not been able to talk to her. I think most likely, her partner said to not take the case, and she didn't tell me. I called the Board of Bar Overseers to make a complaint, but I am worried about the information I gave her going to the opposing side, if she gets angry that I am reporting her.
So my question is, is she bound by ethics not to give any info I gave
her to anyone else?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">