• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatened w/ Action by Attorney For Whom I Provide Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C4talyst

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

I have provided web site hosting and limited design / development services for a local attorney for over ten years. He has been quite unreasonable on occasion during this time and has often blown up over trivial matters during meetings or phone conversations.

As such, I've tried to scale back the amount of work we do for him and at times I've considered asking him to find a new service provider. In recent years the only services I've provided him with were web site hosting for a single site.

Today he contacted me via email and wanted to discuss a search engine optimization program for his web site. We had several very friendly exchanges and I pledged to have two proposals to him by next Monday.

He wanted to make some changes to the site himself and I provided him with FTP (File Transfer Protocol) information since his Content Management System did not not have the capability to edit the areas he wanted to modify. I explained that using FTP to manage a web site is something often reserved for professionals, as it requires direct code edits to the site.

I've seen him get upset when we discuss technologies that he does not understand and today was no different. He sent me a scathing email concerning use of FTP to manage the site, and accused me of trying to damage his business and told me I was playing a "dangerous game" with his law firm.

I can't say I was shocked by this since I've seen him behave this way in the past. I wrote back and fully explained the use of FTP and told him that he was free to find another provider if he was unhappy with our services, and that I would do everything I could to help with a smooth transition.

He wrote back and told me my services were no longer needed, and that he would be filing suit against me personally, and my LLC, for the damage I've done to his business. He accused me of fraud and deceitful conduct. This opinion was apparently ascertained from our brief email discussion.

I have no doubt he will be suing me, even if he believes to do so would be malicious and frivolous. He strikes me as having deep-seeded anger or other emotional issues.

What approach should I take to this issue other than the obvious consultation with an attorney. Have his threats touched on any possible ethics violations? I appreciate any and all responses.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

I have provided web site hosting and limited design / development services for a local attorney for over ten years. He has been quite unreasonable on occasion during this time and has often blown up over trivial matters during meetings or phone conversations.

As such, I've tried to scale back the amount of work we do for him and at times I've considered asking him to find a new service provider. In recent years the only services I've provided him with were web site hosting for a single site.

Today he contacted me via email and wanted to discuss a search engine optimization program for his web site. We had several very friendly exchanges and I pledged to have two proposals to him by next Monday.

He wanted to make some changes to the site himself and I provided him with FTP (File Transfer Protocol) information since his Content Management System did not not have the capability to edit the areas he wanted to modify. I explained that using FTP to manage a web site is something often reserved for professionals, as it requires direct code edits to the site.

I've seen him get upset when we discuss technologies that he does not understand and today was no different. He sent me a scathing email concerning use of FTP to manage the site, and accused me of trying to damage his business and told me I was playing a "dangerous game" with his law firm.

I can't say I was shocked by this since I've seen him behave this way in the past. I wrote back and fully explained the use of FTP and told him that he was free to find another provider if he was unhappy with our services, and that I would do everything I could to help with a smooth transition.

He wrote back and told me my services were no longer needed, and that he would be filing suit against me personally, and my LLC, for the damage I've done to his business. He accused me of fraud and deceitful conduct. This opinion was apparently ascertained from our brief email discussion.

I have no doubt he will be suing me, even if he believes to do so would be malicious and frivolous. He strikes me as having deep-seeded anger or other emotional issues.

What approach should I take to this issue other than the obvious consultation with an attorney. Have his threats touched on any possible ethics violations? I appreciate any and all responses.
Some people enjoy being bullies and believe that the fact that they're attorneys gives them a bigger "stick" to shake at whomever they believe has "wronged" them.

Keep a paper trail of all the dealings you've had with him so your attorney can use them to refute any claims he makes. Then don't produce as much as a paper airplane for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">