• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mb45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

In 2005 I was involuntarily committed ( for up to 60 days ) to the county's inpatient psych ward after having an argument with Dad the previous evening. I gave Dad the money to buy me a ticket to go to the world cup cycling race that everyone but me was going to celebrate Dad's 80th birthday. (Dad, I live with him, my 2 sisters EM and SL the nurse and mother of my 3 nieces). I was told by SL that a ticket could still be purchased prior to my discharge from voluntary hospitalization (adverse reaction to an antibiotic, unable to sleep, and thought I was having a heart attack, 3 times to the ER) and I had to attend PHP.

The ticket costs $800 instead of $400 (I had the cash)

Dad and SL (sis who’s a nurse and has very little to do with us) show up at PHP (partial hospital program) Under the guise of needing to see the Dr for my meds as I am to be discharged and he is covering crisis, I go with my therapist. The Dr asks me what I said and the next thing I know I'm an inpatient. No other questions.

Day 2 I talk with the mental health legal aid's lawyer. Tell him what happened and that I don’t need to be here. I tell him that I want a hearing. He says he'll talk to the DR and look at the chart. When I spoke with the Dr earlier that day she said that if I continue to take the meds I’d be able to go home in a few days. I said I don't need to be here to do that.

Day 3 3/18 Dr hands me paperwork for her request for a hearing to keep me in for 180 days. I refuse meds from that time.

Family doesn't return calls from me, before the trip. 3/23 - 3/28

Day 10 Session with Dr, therapist and lawyer. Lawyer sides with Dr and tells me to take meds. I said no. I'm doing fine without. Family is away and will be back Mon 3/28

Day 13 3/28 Dad's birthday. Handed paperwork for hearing to take meds.

Day 15 family meeting. They don’t want me home unless I’m on meds.

Day 20 4/4 Court hearing. Dr states, she sees me 3 times a week (in the hallway asking how am I with no discussion of my problem ) that I said "I would", that I need 3 to 4 weeks on meds, and I can't comprehend my condition as I cannot comprehend the NY Times. I tell Bob (lawyer) I had to read it in 7th grade. On the stand I am asked what I said. I repeat what I said to my Dad using “I could” I am not asked about any circumstances or background of the argument.

Day 22 Order to take meds.

Day 24 Therapist says that Monday we will have a meeting to talk about discharge.

Day 27 family meeting with case manager. For discharge I have to pick PHP (they put me in here), CSC (Community Support Center) or RPC (Rockland Psychiatric Center)

Day 28 Discharged taken home by van.

Day 29 don’t take meds anymore.

I feel that this commitment was without due process. There are procedures that should have been followed. I filled out forms to get copies of my chart and was only given a 2 page summary. Also as an inpatient I reqested a hearing on day 2 which Bob never appplied for on my behalf. This was my right. I wanted to be the petitioner. I also have the right to actively participate in my treatment plan. I had no say. I also have the right to object.

Also the first issue should have been my need for inpatient care for 180 days.
Did the Dr file a bogus request as I time stalling tactic so the family could have a good time without me?

I am waiting for the County to take me to court as I refuse to pay any of this $60,000 bill which is 5 yrs old.

At this time I had no medical insurance. I applied for medicaid but was denied (due to their error IRAs are exempt ). I was in limbo between case managers when this occurred (they are to help)

It has been hard to find a lawyer as no one want to go against the County.

BL

Did the Dr file a bogus request as I time stalling tactic so the family could have a good time without me?
As my son would say ,repeating me ,when he was about 5,6.or7 " I knew It ".:D

His aunt even bought him a stuffed turtle and named it " I knew it " , for him.

mb45

Why didn't the mental health legal aid lawyer file for a hearing on my behalf like I asked on day 2? Isn't he supposed to be on my side? They never brought up the Dr's first petition to keep me in for 180 days. It just doesn't make any sense . I guess you can't expect much when you don't have to pay them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">