• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turmoil between my attorneys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

del66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? north carolina

I was the victim in a random shooting at a bar and signed a contingency agreement with a lawyer-friend to represent me in a civil suit against the owner of the bar. one of the stipulations of the contingency agreement (since my lawyer was not a civil lit atty) was that my lawyer would "associate" with another attorney (who had civil action experience). I was told about, and agreed to, the use of the "associated attorney". well, the "associated attorney" apparently knew of the contingency agreement because he sent me papers to fill out (case description, authorization to obtain med records, etc.) and he proceeded to order records, bills and even prepared and delivered a demand package to the bar's insurance company's counsel.

well, it's been several months since the letter was submitted and I have not heard anything from the lawyers (despite emails requesting an update). furthermore, I've been told by the lawyer with whom I signed the contingency agreement that the "associated attorney" complained to the lawyer because the "associated attorney" thought I signed a contingency with HIM and that HE was the one assoicating with my lawyer. when my lawyer told him otherwise, the "associated attorney" supposedly got upset and I haven't heard from him since. I'm afraid he has turned his back on my case upon learning that I was not his client.

is there anything I can do to: a) make sure the "associated attorney" doesn't just abandon my case; b) make the "associated attorney" return my emails; and c) protect my case in the event these two attorneys fight it out over who gets me as a client?

I know this is vague, so I will certainly answer any specific questions.

thank you so much for your help!

You Are Guilty

is there anything I can do to: a) make sure the "associated attorney" doesn't just abandon my case;
Well, no, you can't force anyone to work for you. Slavery has been illegal for a number of years now.
b) make the "associated attorney" return my emails;
This is a common complaint. Have you tried calling? Or (gasp), going to his office in person? It's a lot harder to give you the brush off when you're sitting right there. In comparison, it's quite easy to hit "delete" in Outlook.

If that doesn't work, the next step of escalation would be:
http://www.ncbar.gov/public/filing.asp

Just be aware that if associated-attorney wasn't mad at you before, he probably will be if you go this route. (But don't let that dissuade you from filing - you are entitled to be kept abreast of the status of your case).
and c) protect my case in the event these two attorneys fight it out over who gets me as a client?
Simple, in theory at least. You just need to fire them both and hire someone else. (Just be sure to disclose the existence of the agreement with the prior two as they will likely lien your file.)

Good luck.

del66

thank you for the response.

does the associated attorney have an obligation to let me know if a response or offer was made by the bar's counsel? like I stated earlier, a demand package was already delivered to the bar's counsel.

I'm just scared that he's sitting on this information until I sign a contingency agreement with him. can he do that?

thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">