• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized Disclosure of Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chlorinepetes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I live in California and I'm 17 years old. My friend's mother asked her next door neighbor, who is a police officer, to pull up some records on her friends. The cop told her 4 of her friends' (including me) criminal records.
Three of us are 17 and one of us is 18. Also the mother found out that one of the other three's mother has a medical marijuana card.
On top of that the officer told her mother that I had been arrested for stealing a car, which is not true.
I'm pretty sure this is unauthorized disclosure of information, and even a little defamation. My mother and I plan on making a formal complaint at our local police department and taking this to court.

Do we have a strong case? I read up on some laws and it said he could be fined up to 5,000 dollars and or spend up to 5 years in prison and will lose his job. Is there any truth to this? I'm just not really sure where to start.

garrula lingua

IMHO, you are wasting your time - you will just draw attention to your blemished record. It's not wise to broadcast your screw-ups.

It would be a better use of time, to plan on how you can change, in order to keep a clean record from age 18 on, rather than continuing to figure out how to get over on someone.

By the way, you have no case. You only have a whiny complaint.

If it's an unfair report on an officer, you may be liable for $5,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">