• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unethical lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

winelkan

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington.
My deceased husband's practice is owed for a personal injury case. The case was settled and the attorney who settled the case told me that the money is being held in trust. I needed to tie up some loose ends, and then she would be able to turn over the money. The money actually goes to the purchasers of the practice because they were to receive all of the accounts receivable. The money is not affected by probate. I have not been able to get in contact with her. She is obvously avoiding me. When I spoke to her, which was only once, (The patient of my husband contacted me to let me know they had settled and that she had the money. She did not contact me.) she told me she was getting out of practicing law. I live in Washington state, but the attorney is in Arkansas. What do I need to do? I do not want to get in a legal battle. If she is no longer practicing, does that make it harder for me?

rachelsfx

File an Attorney Complaint

Check your state bar association and file a complaint. Be calm, clear, and concise in your statements. Send copies of all relevant documents. Just don't threaten the lawyer. Sometimes that is all it takes. An attorney would be next or concurrent. If you file a complaint, make sure the attorney agrees for your to do so before filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">