• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent! Attorney broke confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpkinader

What is the name of your state? washington

Yesterday was suppose to be my boyfriends trial for a domestic dispute we got into several months ago. Well, the case was held over because I wasn't there (they weren't able to subpoena me). Well during the prosecutors arguement to the judge to have it held over, she stated that my boyfriend told his attorney that I wasn't in the area. My boyfriend told his attorney that in confidence - he didn't want the prosecutor to know that. Did his attorney have the right to tell the prosecutor this information? It was really detrimental to my boyfriends case. What can my boyfriend do about this? This is a court appointed attorney. Because this information was given to the prosecutor and the judge, they now know that my boyfriend has talked to me and they issued a warrant for my arrest because they believe I'm hiding so I won't be subpoena. Even if this is true, the information never should have been given to them. Shouldn't he be able to ask for new attorneys and a new judge for this case?

gawm

he should be able to get a new court appointed attorney. i had a attorney break confidentiality one time. i wrote a letter to the judge stating that he broke it(send the attorney a copy too). My attorney denied breaking it, but because mine was a pretty serious case the judge dismissed him even though he did not want to get off the case. By the way, how many times does your boyfriend have to beat the crap out of you before you learn not to do stupid things like dodge a subpoena? Or do you just like getting the crap beat out of you?

BelizeBreeze

gawm said:
he should be able to get a new court appointed attorney. i had a attorney break confidentiality one time. i wrote a letter to the judge stating that he broke it(send the attorney a copy too). My attorney denied breaking it, but because mine was a pretty serious case the judge dismissed him even though he did not want to get off the case. By the way, how many times does your boyfriend have to beat the crap out of you before you learn not to do stupid things like dodge a subpoena? Or do you just like getting the crap beat out of you?
You are both idiots. :rolleyes:

BelizeBreeze

gawm said:
i never said i wasn't! what's your point? ;)
Chapter 2: Client Confidentiality
I. GENERAL

A. Rule of Professional Conduct - Text of RPC 1.6 - Confidentiality. RPC 1.6 provides:
(a) A lawyer shall not reveal confidences or secrets relating to representation of a client unless the client consents after consultation, except for disclosures that are impliedly authorized in order to carry out the representation, and except as stated in Sections (b) and (c).

(b) A lawyer may reveal such confidences or secrets to the extent the lawyer reasonably believes necessary:

(1) To prevent the client from committing a crime; or

(2) To establish a claim or defense on behalf of the lawyer in a controversy between the lawyer and the client, to establish a defense to a criminal charge or civil claim against the lawyer based upon conduct in which the client was involved, to respond to allegations in any proceeding concerning the lawyer's representation of the client, or pursuant to court order.

(c) A lawyer may reveal to the tribunal confidences or secrets which disclose any breach of fiduciary responsibility by a client who is a guardian, personal representative, receiver, or other court appointed fiduciary.

gawm

when i wrote my judge i was called into court. he didn't even ask what the circumstance was even though my lawyer admittedly denied it. i just told him i felt he broke it therefor i have no more faith in him to provide me with fair representation. the judge did not want to hear the merits of my claim but stated in his experience it is just better to appoint new representation then to deal with this claim if a appeal should come up. or something to that effect it was quite a long time ago. so it worked for me. worth a shot

pumpkinader

First of all who said anything about getting the crap beat out of me? Or that there's been multiple instances? If you want to know the truth, we were both screaming at each other, I hit him in the face and when I did my finger slipped into his mouth and he bit it - barely breaking the skin. I was mad so I called the cops on him - technically I should of went to jail, but he took the wrap so I wouldn't go to jail. We've been together for 2 years and this is the only time we've ever let ourselves get out of control like this. Second of all, I'm not dodging a subpoena, in fact I gave the cops my address to where I work, if they wanted to they could of served me there. They chose instead 2 days before the trial to try and serve me at my house and both times I wasn't home. So maybe you shouldn't just assume that he is guilty and I am helping him. Only idiots open there mouth about things they know nothing about. Thanks for the advice everyone else. Does anyone have any idea how to go about getting a new attorney, hopefully a new judge and prosecutor too.

gawm

gawm said:
THERE HAS TO BE A CONFLICT BETWEEN YOUR BOYFRIEND AND HIS ATTORNEY! EITHER REAL OR PERCEIVED.
if it is real or if the client truly perceives it to be real it is not what you're suggesting. just because someone perceives something doesn't make it true but it also doesn't make it knowingly false

missygthr

pumpkinader said:
First of all who said anything about getting the crap beat out of me? Or that there's been multiple instances? If you want to know the truth, we were both screaming at each other, I hit him in the face and when I did my finger slipped into his mouth and he bit it - barely breaking the skin. I was mad so I called the cops on him - technically I should of went to jail, but he took the wrap so I wouldn't go to jail. We've been together for 2 years and this is the only time we've ever let ourselves get out of control like this. Second of all, I'm not dodging a subpoena, in fact I gave the cops my address to where I work, if they wanted to they could of served me there. They chose instead 2 days before the trial to try and serve me at my house and both times I wasn't home. So maybe you shouldn't just assume that he is guilty and I am helping him. Only idiots open there mouth about things they know nothing about. Thanks for the advice everyone else. Does anyone have any idea how to go about getting a new attorney, hopefully a new judge and prosecutor too.
Good answer! Many replies to these postings amount to nothing more than badgering by judgmental snobs who really have no expertise, evident by their ignorant remarks. I do hope you find some logical, PROFESSIONAL responses here....you deserve that. Good luck!

BelizeBreeze

missygthr said:
Good answer! Many replies to these postings amount to nothing more than badgering by judgmental snobs who really have no expertise, evident by their ignorant remarks. I do hope you find some logical, PROFESSIONAL responses here....you deserve that. Good luck!
And that's EXACTLY what she got? And your POINT WAS?

gawm

missygthr said:
do you really think that was a good answer???did you read her post? if you really think that was a good answer you must be one of those girls who also like getting the crap beat out of them too!

ClarenceThomas

The inmates are... well you know

missygthr said:
Yep, you got that right. :cool:

missygthr

gawm said:
do you really think that was a good answer???did you read her post? if you really think that was a good answer you must be one of those girls who also like getting the crap beat out of them too!
I think your ignorant, presumptuous, judgmental remarks speak for themselves. if you have something of merit to offer, it would be obvious. You do not. As for your asinine remark to me, all readers can see that you are in the habit of making ridiculous charges without having any facts whatsoever, which your posts represent. Why don't you contribute to society and pick up garbage off the street, and start with yourself....Bye!

missygthr

gawm said:
And by the way, yes, it was a good answer. It was directed to her only, and you butted in. If I wanted to tell you that you were judgmental, ignorant and presumptious, I would have. So now I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">