• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

usurping authority?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

As stupid as it sounds, I must be fingerprinted every 4 years. The old ink method was no better than the new digital method and repeats were subject to administrators opinion. I have had to have finger repeats several times. The difference is now the computer makes the decision whether each finger has provided sufficient ridge distinction to be acceptable. Why our gov't insists on making sure I have the same fingers every 4 years is beyond me.

(usually after multiple fails on a particular finger, I ask the technician if they are selling any black market ones out the back door I can buy)

Since when? LOL all of a sudden? You sound like an expert. LOL

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

NJ

Can a DA usurp the authority of the state? A DA told my local police to have me refingerprinted for gun permits... even though it's only required once.
Straight from the NJ State Police FAQs:
Individuals must be fingerprinted when applying for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun.

An individual making application for a handgun purchase permit who possessed a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonable satisfactory proof of his or her identity, in the discretion of the chief of police or Superintendent, need not be fingerprinted again.

An individual seeking a Permit to Carry a Handgun must be fingerprinted upon the initial application and each subsequent renewal.

Now, seeing as how, there seems to be involvement of the DA, I suspect there are issues in your personal history that makes the DA request. Because, in looking at the gun permit laws for NJ, I see nothing that would indicate to me that the DA would necessarily be involved typically.

Have a nice day, and try to put your attitude in your back pocket and sit on it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Straight from the NJ State Police FAQs:
Individuals must be fingerprinted when applying for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun.

An individual making application for a handgun purchase permit who possessed a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonable satisfactory proof of his or her identity, in the discretion of the chief of police or Superintendent, need not be fingerprinted again.

An individual seeking a Permit to Carry a Handgun must be fingerprinted upon the initial application and each subsequent renewal.

Now, seeing as how, there seems to be involvement of the DA, I suspect there are issues in your personal history that makes the DA request. Because, in looking at the gun permit laws for NJ, I see nothing that would indicate to me that the DA would necessarily be involved typically.

Have a nice day, and try to put your attitude in your back pocket and sit on it.
I note he never said he actually GOT a permit. In which case, he can be fingerprinted every time he applies in an attempt to get a permit.

TigerD

It's that new tracking ink. They can tell when you stick your fingers somewhere they don't belong.

DC

FlyingRon

Having had a security clearance at various levels since I was in college I've been finger printed countless times. Even so, when applying for airport security credentials I was finger printed again, and getting a concealed permit here in Virgnia again. Just go do it. Most of the time now they don't even use the messy ink on the cards.

(I've always found that getting fingerprinted at a police station is better than doing it in almost any security office. They are way more efficient at it and have all the goop to clean you up nicely right there).

quincy

Having had a security clearance at various levels since I was in college I've been finger printed countless times. Even so, when applying for airport security credentials I was finger printed again, and getting a concealed permit here in Virgnia again. Just go do it. Most of the time now they don't even use the messy ink on the cards.

(I've always found that getting fingerprinted at a police station is better than doing it in almost any security office. They are way more efficient at it and have all the goop to clean you up nicely right there).
There are several reasons why fingerprints are taken and why fingerprinting needs to be repeated. But milboltnut states that a prosecutor is involved in the reprinting request, which makes one question why.

A brief online search, combined with what milboltnut stated earlier in his now-edited post, reveals among other things that milboltnut has had gun permits in the past, he has been denied an out-of-state gun permit at least once, he had at least one criminal charge reduced to a non-criminal offense on a plea of guilty, he has had according to him "non-criminal offenses" expunged from his record (and he has been banned from at least one forum, perhaps for his unpleasant online banter).

It might be important to note that much can be learned about milboltnut (including his real name and occupation) because he has used the same user name on several different websites. Although there can be some good reasons for someone to keep the same user name, there are also many other good reasons why one should not. Online searches are done with regularity by employers and schools (among others), to monitor and evaluate employees, students, and applicants. A single user name can make this fast and easy and, potentially, bad news for the person being monitored or evaluated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">