• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Value of a Non Suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

norsedude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

This may be more of a philosophy question, but what is the value to society and the legal process of the absolute right of a plaintiff in Virginia to non suit a case? This system sets up the possibility of a war of attrition for a determined plaintiff. My case: Plaintiff sued one defendant then non suited the case. Plaintiff then filed a different suit against same defendant plus three others (including me), bickered with us in discovery for 19 months then one day before a demurrer hearing was granted a non suit. I'm told I have no recourse to recover costs. I assume plaintiff can think up another unrelated suit, file against defendants and drag us to the brink before non suiting that case. As long as plaintiff is willing to pay, we HAVE to play. At what point in this process is plaintiff and plaintiff's attorney in violation of Virginia Code 8.01-271.1 and subject to sanctions? How does one end this process?

norsedude

We did. We were told there is nothing we can do. Our attorney is good and we have no reason to doubt him. I just thought it prudent to seek additional advice from a source that has no financial stake in the process. I hope you can understand my skepticism when the advice from those getting paid is basically "keep paying."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">