• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veteran rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

We had a poster here, a couple of years ago, who was very open about the amounts of his disability benefits. He had a higher income than I do now, and by a couple of thousand a month.
My brother in law has considerable disability benefits as well. They certainly are not "meager". Particularly when you add in free medical insurance and other benefits he received.

quincy

All kidding aside, OP, you are incorrect. You may want to read this: http://statesidelegal.org/sites/default/files/VA payments-fact sheet_msullivan.pdf

If anything, it specifically addresses family support and completely contradicts your understanding.

Further, Rose v Rose does not say what you think it says.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/481/619/

Finally, OP, perhaps you can find a dictionary? There's a handy dandy one right here: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/disdain

To summarise: You're wrong, very wrong and dead wrong.

Sorry.
I am not sure how AskerofQuestion could read Rose v Rose differently. It seems pretty straightforward. It says clearly that VA benefits are intended to support the veteran and the veteran's dependents. Thanks for providing the link, Proserpina.

Other than the issue of alimony, which seems to be a matter of contention for most ex-spouses who are ordered to pay, I am as puzzled by the original post as ecmst12 is.

There does not appear to be any question (sort of) posed by AskerofQuestion that needs resolving. There definitely does not appear to be any ethical issues raised or lawyer malpractice displayed.

(the "statesidelegal" link, by the way Pro, directs to the same "fact sheet" that was provided earlier through the ABA link ;))

RRevak

My brother in law has considerable disability benefits as well. They certainly are not "meager". Particularly when you add in free medical insurance and other benefits he received.
I guess i'm just used to seeing posters on here (and a few actual individuals I know) with disability incomes that to me are meager. To be honest i'm not all that familiar with disability so my limited knowledge has been with people living at or below the poverty line while on benefits. If there are individuals making far more than that then I stand corrected.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess i'm just used to seeing posters on here (and a few actual individuals I know) with disability incomes that to me are meager. To be honest i'm not all that familiar with disability so my limited knowledge has been with people living at or below the poverty line while on benefits. If there are individuals making far more than that then I stand corrected.
This is military disability we're talking about. Not disability that a non-military type person would get.

LdiJ

People on Social Security Disability tend not to have much. Some people on private disability might be meager or might not be meager. Veterans disability benefits can be quite generous, or they can be somewhat meager. It depends in great part on their percentage of disability. Those who are considered 100% disabled tend to receive pretty generous amounts.

RRevak

People on Social Security Disability tend not to have much. Some people on private disability might be meager or might not be meager. Veterans disability benefits can be quite generous, or they can be somewhat meager. It depends in great part on their percentage of disability. Those who are considered 100% disabled tend to receive pretty generous amounts.
I do have a family member who collects military disability as 100% disabled (after 3 tours in Iraq he's pretty banged up) although since we are currently not speaking I can't ask what his monthly amount is. Now i'm curious.

Proserpina

State disability: max around $2600/month. Note this is not SSI - it's SSDI. SSI caps out at around $710/month give or take.

VA disability: Can be over $3000/month or so by itself, markedly more if you add up the other benefits. You can also draw SSDI and VA disability at the same time.

RRevak

State disability: max around $2600/month. Note this is not SSI - it's SSDI. SSI caps out at around $710/month give or take.

VA disability: Can be over $3000/month or so by itself, markedly more if you add up the other benefits. You can also draw SSDI and VA disability at the same time.
Wow I had no idea! Does it take into account household income? I know my family members wife is wealthy so I always assumed his comfortable life was due nearly all in part to her.

Proserpina

I am not sure how AskerofQuestion could read Rose v Rose differently. It seems pretty straightforward. It says clearly that VA benefits are intended to support the veteran and the veteran's dependents. Thanks for providing the link, Proserpina.

Other than the issue of alimony, which seems to be a matter of contention for most ex-spouses who are ordered to pay, I am as puzzled by the original post as ecmst12 is.

There does not appear to be any question (sort of) posed by AskerofQuestion that needs resolving. There definitely does not appear to be any ethical issues raised or lawyer malpractice displayed.

(the "statesidelegal" link, by the way Pro, directs to the same "fact sheet" that was provided earlier through the ABA link ;))

Ah, snap. In my defense, I wrote that before I'd even smelled the coffee (so to speak) ;) Sorry, Q !

I think he's trying to say that because they used the word "disdain" in their opinion, it somehow means that the Supreme Court supports his interpretation of things but family courts are still doing wrong.

And he's incorrect there, too.

Proserpina

Wow I had no idea! Does it take into account household income? I know my family members wife is wealthy so I always assumed his comfortable life was due nearly all in part to her.

SSI is the only means-tested award but it would usually be off the table entirely.

It's not impossible (my late father-in-law was an example) for a disabled Vet to receive over $5k/month when it's all added up!

quincy

Ah, snap. In my defense, I wrote that before I'd even smelled the coffee (so to speak) ;) Sorry, Q !

I think he's trying to say that because they used the word "disdain" in their opinion, it somehow means that the Supreme Court supports his interpretation of things but family courts are still doing wrong.

And he's incorrect there, too.
I wasn't quite sure what he meant by throwing the word "disdain" in. :)

Here are links to veteran's disability compensation benefits:

http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-benefits/veteran-disability-compensation.html

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp

Last edited:

LdiJ

SSI is the only means-tested award but it would usually be off the table entirely.

It's not impossible (my late father-in-law was an example) for a disabled Vet to receive over $5k/month when it's all added up!
My brother in law is around that level too.

TigerD

Before we talk about how generous the VA disability payments are, I think everybody needs to be reminded how they are earned. I know a guy I went to school with that can't drive a car because he has seizures stemming from TBI that resulted from his 6th - 6th -- let me say that again -- his 6th time getting blown up by an IED. He also has PTSD and some other medical issues.

I helped build a house for a Marine vet who left his legs in a mine field.

I spent three hours talking to a Iraq vet who sat on his couch with a bottle of booze in one hand and a 1911 in the other. His wife called me. His guns are still in my gun safe and I'm glad to say we got him to accept the help he needed from the VA. I pray he's going to make it through it. He had been shot three times lost several teammates and subordinates under fire.

Just recently, I have managed to get another vet with whom I served in Desert Storm to go to the Vet Center for counseling and the VA for treatment. He was hitting bottom with PTSD and the assorted symptoms that go with it. He suffered with PTSD and physical trauma for 23 years before seeking help.

No, I have a hard time characterizing VA disability rates as generous.

DC

Silverplum

Thank you, DC, for saying with grace what I could not state without Extreme Testiness.

(Believe me, I've tried and backspaced and tried again.)

LdiJ

Before we talk about how generous the VA disability payments are, I think everybody needs to be reminded how they are earned. I know a guy I went to school with that can't drive a car because he has seizures stemming from TBI that resulted from his 6th - 6th -- let me say that again -- his 6th time getting blown up by an IED. He also has PTSD and some other medical issues.

I helped build a house for a Marine vet who left his legs in a mine field.

I spent three hours talking to a Iraq vet who sat on his couch with a bottle of booze in one hand and a 1911 in the other. His wife called me. His guns are still in my gun safe and I'm glad to say we got him to accept the help he needed from the VA. I pray he's going to make it through it. He had been shot three times lost several teammates and subordinates under fire.

Just recently, I have managed to get another vet with whom I served in Desert Storm to go to the Vet Center for counseling and the VA for treatment. He was hitting bottom with PTSD and the assorted symptoms that go with it. He suffered with PTSD and physical trauma for 23 years before seeking help.

No, I have a hard time characterizing VA disability rates as generous.

DC
My brother in law is technically quadriplegic. Believe me, I understand your point. However, I meant generous in terms of the ability to allow one to provide for themselves and their family. Much more so than other forms of disability, and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">