• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Videotaping Laws in Co

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paxaman0

I'm wondering about the video-taping laws in CO. It seems pretty relaxed from what I've gathered (we're one of the more relaxed states lol.)

Am I allowed to video-tape someone without them knowing about it? For example, I recorded a conversation on YouTube without my teacher knowing about it (during class) and posted it on Youtube because I was so upset. (Much like the Jeff Bliss situation.

From my understanding it's not illegal as long as it's on public property. For example, it would be illlegal if I went into their house and tried to videotape them without knowing it because it's inside their house, but if I am on a public campus like a community college then it would be okay right?

quincy

I'm wondering about the video-taping laws in CO. It seems pretty relaxed from what I've gathered (we're one of the more relaxed states lol.)

Am I allowed to video-tape someone without them knowing about it? For example, I recorded a conversation on YouTube without my teacher knowing about it (during class) and posted it on Youtube because I was so upset. (Much like the Jeff Bliss situation.

From my understanding it's not illegal as long as it's on public property. For example, it would be illlegal if I went into their house and tried to videotape them without knowing it because it's inside their house, but if I am on a public campus like a community college then it would be okay right?
There is more involved in audio and video recording than the "where" of it.

As a most general rule, it is okay to videotape what you see from your position on public property - but there are notable exceptions (upskirt filming, filming through windows, accident scenes, to name a few).

And, even when the video taping is okay, it is not always okay to have audio with the video. Any audio recorder that is sensitive enough to pick up private conversations can be a problem and surreptitious recording can be a problem.

The biggest concern when filming or audio recording is probably avoiding invading anyone's privacy. But the filming, the audio portion of a film, and the publication of the video can create several other legal concerns. It depends on the facts.

Has your teacher confronted you about the YouTube video?

(as a note, your questions do not appear to have anything to do with either legal ethics or lawyer malpractice)

Last edited:

paxaman0

There is more involved in audio and video recording than the "where" of it.

As a most general rule, it is okay to videotape what you see from your position on public property - but there are notable exceptions (upskirt filming, filming through windows, accident scenes, to name a few).

And, even when the video taping is okay, it is not always okay to have audio with the video. Any audio recorder that is sensitive enough to pick up private conversations can be a problem and surreptitious recording can be a problem.

The biggest concern when filming or audio recording is probably avoiding invading anyone's privacy. But the filming, the audio portion of a film, and the publication of the video can create several other legal concerns. It depends on the facts.

Has your teacher confronted you about the YouTube video?

(as a note, your questions do not appear to have anything to do with either legal ethics or lawyer malpractice)
The teacher doesn't know about the video.

My issue is that she is teaching these ideas as facts which is very disturbing. I am paying my own money for this Anthropology class too.

So, legally speaking would there be any repercussions from posting a video like this? I want to know so I won't get in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

The teacher doesn't know about the video. ...

... My issue is that she is teaching these ideas as facts which is very disturbing. I am paying my own money for this Anthropology class too.

So, legally speaking would there be any repercussions from posting a video like this? I want to know so I won't get in trouble.
paxaman0, the link to your YouTube video is being edited out of your post. It is really not smart to post it here - for all sorts of reasons.

In place of the link to your video, perhaps you can tell us what it is that is being taught in your anthropology class that you find objectionable. Try to do this, though, without revealing anything that could lead a reader to your real identity or the identity of the teacher and school.

There can potentially be legal repercussions from posting a video of a teacher during her lecture to the class. In addition to legal repercussions, you could also face disciplinary actions at your school, depending on the school and the school rules.

Probably the best way to approach any teacher who has ideas that differ from your own is through a civil debate, either in class (if the class is set up for student exchanges) or outside of class with your teacher directly.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">