• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Confidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antrac90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Washington State, Island County

Few weeks ago a neighbor dog got into the chicken pen and killed some chickens. Dog was trapped in the pen and Sheriff called, Sheriff and Animal Control responded. They took the dog and a report was filed. Desired that personal info, name address etc be kept from who ever owned the dog so requested personal information be kept confidential. Do not want the dog owner beating my door down.

Come to find out Animal Control went and gave the dog owner my address, so now I'm just waiting for the dog owner to come by. I have no idea how they would respond to having to put their pet down, that's why choosing to remain anonymous was made. Anything I can do to ensure that the county doesn't do this to the next guy. Promise to do a thing and then violate that promise makes not good faith.

Last edited:

Antrac90

Nope. Absent being subject to a covenant not to disclose, they are free to disclose anything to anyone.
Figures, Well, and it is hoped it doesn't happen, should a Fido kill my livestock, I'll just shoot the dog and chuck it to the street. If you cant count on the officials to act civil, no need for me to.

nrknlknek

I would not counsel any such action. Notwithstanding it being inhumane, so doing would be a crime and would expose you to civil liability as well.

Antrac90

I would not counsel any such action. Notwithstanding it being inhumane, so doing would be a crime and would expose you to civil liability as well.
Understand your reasoning. This state allows for a dog found killing livestock to be shot by the livestock owner RCW 16.08.020

Try to avoid such measures of course, yet when the animal control says to my face that the contact info would be kept confidential as requested, then breaches that word, the faith is gone. Fool me once . . .

Thanks for the input

las365

Oh, that pesky Sixth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence. (emphasis added)

Antrac90

Oh, that pesky Sixth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence. (emphasis added)
Tis true, speaks that no witness, no crime then, yet here Animal Control becomes the witness to the action, I just brought it to their attention.

lawschdropout

Tis true, speaks that no witness, no crime then, yet here Animal Control becomes the witness to the action, I just brought it to their attention.
You don't get to pick who is a witness. You complained, you are the accuser. In any event, if the owner were actually charged, they would be entitled as a matter of law to speak with all witnesses as part of his investigation in order to prepare his defense.

Antrac90

You don't get to pick who is a witness. You complained, you are the accuser. In any event, if the owner were actually charged, they would be entitled as a matter of law to speak with all witnesses as part of his investigation in order to prepare his defense.
Yup and I should know better, when law enforcement says they will keep my contact information confidential, it is but lip service, again. A few words of that disturbing tactic to my state Senator at least popped a call from her to my county commissioner.

Thanks for the info

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">