• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

waived fee later reinstated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adelefishbaker

What is the name of your state?New York State

I briefly consulted a lawyer to determine whether or not I would retain his services. At the end of the session, after telling him that I would contact him if I decided to hire him, I twice made clear my wish to pay for it on the spot. Despite my insistence, he refused payment, waiving his fee as is not uncommon for such initial consultations. I thanked him for his gesture. As should be expected, I never received any bill.​

Now--three months later--I received from his office an account statement--the first such--with a balance due. It seems to me that this lawyer was disingenuous in waiving his fee: it appears to have been a temporary tactic to gain an edge over the potential competition. And I assume that after a sufficient length of time for him to realize that I would not hire him, he is trying to reinstate that fee. After all, I am surprised that this time-dependent fee was even computed in the first place.​

The amount involved is relatively inconsequential and I was admittedly willing to pay it initially. However, a question of principle is now involved and I am miffed at what I consider to be a dubious practice.​

What is the best way to handle this matter: ignore the account statement altogether, reply with a reminder of the above-stated facts, or what?​

I thank you in advance for your reply.​

seniorjudge

Q: What is the best way to handle this matter: ignore the account statement altogether, reply with a reminder of the above-stated facts, or what?

A: Reply with a reminder of the above-stated facts

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">