• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Virginia.

I spent $10,000 to hire a law firm to represent me on charges, of which I'm innocent. My lawyers spent 3 months working on it and assured me they had it under control, that there would be no jail time. I continually asked for updates and even said, "I'm going to sign an apartment lease, are you positive there will be no jail time?" My lawyers, both, said "yes, no jail time. Sign the lease."

Now, because they overlooked a detail in my case, a detail I made them aware of but they ignored, and it is in their notes, I'm looking at 45 days in jail because the prosecutor insists upon it. I'm take a plea bargain only because I'm scared to go to trial at the possibility of losing (who knows what a jury will decide?)

If I go, I face losing my job and thus my lease but will still owe the rent for the next 1.5 years. I can't afford it if I lose my job. I only signed the lease based on his advice.

Do I have any options here?
No lawyer can guarantee an outcome. Did you get the guarantee in writing? You are looking at 45 days in jail because you committed a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">