• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do with this fool?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? GA

Three years ago I hired an attorney to help me in a contempt action against my ex. We went to mediation quickly and smoothly... then I waited for our court date. It took about 8 months for us to finally get there. Now I know GA courts are backed up, as they all are... but come on...

Now here's the real good part... I think we went in June to mediation and I called the lawyer about every other month to find out what was going on... when was our date... nothing, nothing, nada... etc. In November we moved and of course, I notified him- I was urgently waiting for our court date, of course I called him with our new address and phone number. And, our old number, when called, gave our new number. I know for sure- I checked, plus ex got the number that way too. Also, the people that bought our old place are friends of ours and bring all our mail to us (any that doesn't get forwarded by po.) Anyhoo- I call in April, really impatient about our court date- and the lawyer asks me, acting very surprised, "Ummm, did you move lately?"
"YES- I told you I moved back in November."
"Oh- I didn't know! We went to court March 17. I tried to get in touch with you, but the phone number was disconnected and I mailed you a letter, but I guess you didn't get it."

Now- everything he said is not true- and we both know it. Fortunately for me, things went my way in court, despite me not being there.

But, I don't think I should have to pay the jerk for what he did... I mean didn't do. What can I do?

S

seniorjudge

You seem a tad lax in keeping up with this guy. I really can't see where you have a gripe, unless you have some kind of documentation showing that you told him that you had changed your address and telephone number.

In November we moved and of course, I notified him...I call in April....

You waited five months to contact him, even though you knew you had a court date (but didn't know the exact date)?

Anyway, if you want to take any action against him, he will say, "I have documentation that I tried to contact you. I tried to get in touch with you, but the phone number was disconnected and I mailed you a letter, but I guess you didn't get it."

What do you have?

seniorjudge said:
You waited five months to contact him, even though you knew you had a court date (but didn't know the exact date)??
No, no- I called him every few weeks asking when the court date was going to be. I was constantly told we didn't have one yet and he would call when we finally had one.

seniorjudge said:
Anyway, if you want to take any action against him, he will say, "I have documentation that I tried to contact you. I tried to get in touch with you, but the phone number was disconnected and I mailed you a letter, but I guess you didn't get it."

What do you have?
I know it's not true because the phone company puts on an automatic message saying the old number has been disconnected, and the new number is -------. I KNOW it was there because immediately after talking to him, I checked it for myself. He did NOT try to call. There were no letters sent either, or they would have forwarded them to me.

BelizeBreeze said:
You pay an attorney for work product and results. The work product ended in the results you were looking for.

Move on.
Are you serious? You really believe that going to court without the client you represent is acceptable? And the result should have been him WITH me... not him alone.

S

seniorjudge

Fortunately for me, things went my way in court, despite me not being there.

If you feel your attorney has committed an ethical violation, then you should file a complaint with the disciplinary committee of the state bar.

However, keep in mind that when you talk to the state bar, your story will be, "My lawyer did what I wanted him to do but he didn't do it the way I wanted him to do it."

Post back with results.

BelizeBreeze

seniorjudge said:
Fortunately for me, things went my way in court, despite me not being there.

If you feel your attorney has committed an ethical violation, then you should file a complaint with the disciplinary committee of the state bar.

However, keep in mind that when you talk to the state bar, your story will be, "My lawyer did what I wanted him to do but he didn't do it the way I wanted him to do it."

Post back with results.
I would give you the results already...but there's no way for me to post my deep, long laugh :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">