• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do when your Attorney doesn't communicate with you or show up to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MPA2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So to be brief. Toward the end of February I hired an attorney to make payments installments for a custody case. Immediately the first case was continued because received the 730 Eval report the day of the hearing, so counsels wanted time to review. The attorneys and the judge met in his chambers to discuss readiness hearing and the trial. My attorney later showed me a bunch of dates he hand wrote on scrap paper.

A couple of weeks later I sent an email to my Attorney's office to make plans to visit my son. His office contacted me back because opposing counsel asked for some minor changes, which I agreed to and sent anothe email. I later find my calling me a day early before I was supposed to leave asking when I was going to bring our child to the exchange place. Obviously thinking I was right I referred her to the letter my email sent her lawyer, but her time for pick up was 16 hours off. So anyway an hour later cops show up at my door wanting to know what was going on, I referred to the email I sent my attorney. Then they read me an email sent from my attorney to her's, with the times a day earlier. Okay no problem, my attorney's office messed up. I tried to call them. No response. Email them. No response. In fact I had not heard from them until today, when we were suppsoed to have court.

And he didn't show up. So I am calling his office. Her attorney is calling his office. I finally get a hold of some lady, who tells me through a third person that someone would let me know.

So having appeared telephonically (several states away), the court clerk calls me and said my attorney asked for a continuance. I later receive a leter merely stating the days and times of the next hearing. No phone call. No apology.

You may ask: so? Well the point is I have only seen my son once since January, and we've had 50-50 for the past four years (court order). The 730 recommended that I get full custody and she get one weekend per month, winter/spring breaks and 8 weeks of summer. My anxiety is that everytime it gets continued, (1)it establishes a status quo. (2) since it is the trial is in May, the judge could order the recommendations and that would mean I get a month with my son, only to lose him again for 8 weeks until school starts.

Yes I know guys aren't supposed to care about that stuff and wanting his kid to always be around, but that's not me. It's not party time when my son isn't around.

So what would you guys do? Just figure attorney's are too busy and get over it?

MPA2000

This is an edit: I forgot to mention that in addition to him having a scrap sheet, he wouldn't begin talking until he did something with his phone. So I am guessing that he was recording our conversation or had someone taking notes on the other end.

Also when I was setting up the visit with his office, his secretary kept telling me that he hadn't given her anything about the next court dates. She mentioned it on two occasions and each time I kept telling her the dates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">