• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do you call the defense when the client has to get another lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lawvictim

What is the name of your state? FL

Lawyer 1 is lazy. For six months placates client, or avoids calls, does nothing, shows up for trial utterly unprepared, judge is furious, but grants six-week continuance. Lazy lawyer does nothing for two more days, panicked client hires new counsel.

Lawyer 2 takes the case, then seems to dissolve, overwhelmed. Does pretty much the same avoidance game, not that he could have done much preparation in six weeks anyway, but ya know... something? SHows up at trial, can't remember facts, etc. etc. Naturally, the case tanks.

What is the term for Lawyer 1's defense against malpractice? Isn't there some terminology for the defense of "it's not my problem anymore because someone else was hired to clean up after the mess I made?" He's totally off the hook, right?

shortbus

No. There are two sequential acts of malpractice, each causing sequential damage. Each attorney is liable for the damage arising from HIS OWN act of malpractice, and NOT damage arising from the other one.

Karankawan

IN Texas I had similiar problems...

Lawyer 1...Stephenson of Victoria worked by the hour for 3 years and 9 months then quit 6 weeks before court said he could no longer ethically advise me...problem is the judge let him...

Lawyer 2...Hired in May Showalter firm out of Houston had all the information then quit 48 hours before the court was to session...

both instances I had to pro se' litigate and now I am seeking justice...I think everyone needs to name the firms so everyone can read and If they attend here perhaps they can explain their lack of competence in representation...Just my thoughts

Lawyer 1 for a different case than above hired for 2 1/2 years milked me for legal fees then I found out he did nothing and was fired...it was odd when I had to give him hard evidence against the company in black & white once I informed him of the evidence...the company was calling me 5 minutes later to take me hunting...coinsidence? I think not...he was fired on the spot...Bradford/Keonig/Kerr out of Houston...

Not much luck with lawyers or firms in Texas within the oil and gas industry...big oil will buy them off...:(

Still need help or I have to pro se to the end...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">