• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what law has been broken?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zim69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi All,
I was sued by a collections agency but I was never served a summons. Obviously, I never made it to court and a judgment was made. I plan to appeal to vacate the judgment on several grounds. However, there is one issue in particular that I need some expert commentary on....

Assume that the statute of limitations has expired and the law firm representing the collections agency has filed a lawsuit to recover the money. If the law firm swears under oath that they have a right to the money when, in fact, they know that the statute of limitations has expired,
(1) can this be considered perjury?
(2) can this be considered fraud?

Finally, if this law firm consistently sends summons to incorrect addresses in order to ensure that the summoned individual is not aware of the lawsuit until after judgment is made
(3) what law has been broken?

Thank you!!!!
z

nrknlknek

I don't see that any laws have been violated. If you believe their facts are inaccurate, then you can challenge them.

Dandy Don

Laws about proper notice to a defendant have been broken (what incorrect address do you claim they sent your notice to?) and debt collection laws (perhaps the Fair Debt Credit Act) about the rule for statute of limitations on al debt.

You Are Guilty

Laws about proper notice to a defendant have been broken (what incorrect address do you claim they sent your notice to?) and debt collection laws (perhaps the Fair Debt Credit Act) about the rule for statute of limitations on al debt.
Do I need to call JETX over here to straighten you out again? Your entire response is incorrect.

You Are Guilty

Please help the original poster by explaining exactly what about my response was incorrect.
First of all, I already replied to the poster in his original thread - this is a duplicate.

Second, you're the one who needs to support his reply, not me (remember, only one of us is a NY lawyer).

Third, each of these questions has been asked and answered before. If the OP does come back, 5 minutes of searching will give him all the answers he needs.

Dandy Don

So obviously you are more interested in arguing than answering a question. You only NOW mention that it's a duplicate when you could have mentioned that before.

zim69

First of all, I already replied to the poster in his original thread - this is a duplicate.
Your replies were monosyllabic and not very helpful.

Second, you're the one who needs to support his reply, not me (remember, only one of us is a NY lawyer).
I'm looking for thoughtful replies. If, as you claim, you have no expertise in NY law, why did you respond?

Third, each of these questions has been asked and answered before. If the OP does come back, 5 minutes of searching will give him all the answers he needs.
You are correct. Technically, you wrote a response to my questions. But it doesn't seem like you are interested in being helpful, so for all practical purposes, the questions remain unanswered.

~z

HomeGuru

I'm looking for thoughtful replies. If, as you claim, you have no expertise in NY law, why did you respond?

You are correct. Technically, you wrote a response to my questions. But it doesn't seem like you are interested in being helpful, so for all practical purposes, the questions remain unanswered.

~z
**A: too funny.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

~z
Ummm... yeah... just one thing - helpful does not mean telling you what you want to hear. That may be what you desire but that is not help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">