• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yeye2012

t is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

someone went to my Church and accused me of having an affair with them for a few years, they additionally went to their church and made the same claim to there Pastor
Their pastor called my Pastor and I was called in by the senior reconciliation advisor to answer this allegation of an alleged affair.
before I could go in to defend myself the woman in question, days later recanted their statement to her Pastor, my Pastor, and the senior advisor I was due to meet with
they were asked to bring in any proof they had , and yet they failed to do that..
will this jeopardize my clergy-ship and what rights do they have and what rights do I have???

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

someone went to my Church and accused me of having an affair with them for a few years, they additionally went to their church and made the same claim to there Pastor
Their pastor called my Pastor and I was called in by the senior reconciliation advisor to answer this allegation of an alleged affair.
before I could go in to defend myself the woman in question, days later recanted their statement to her Pastor, my Pastor, and the senior advisor I was due to meet with
they were asked to bring in any proof they had , and yet they failed to do that..
will this jeopardize my clergy-ship and what rights do they have and what rights do I have???
I'm afraid there's no way anyone here could answer that. Perhaps you should ask those with the power to strip you of your position.

quincy

Your accuser recanted her story to your Pastor, her Pastor and the senior advisor. All heard from the woman that what she said about the affair was a lie. I do not see that you have suffered any harm but the woman's honesty might from here on out be questioned - so she could very well have harmed her own reputation.

IF you find that the woman's false tale affects you becoming a member of the clergy, you could potentially have a defamation claim to consider. Any defamation suit against the woman would need to be filed within one year of her having told the lie. But it seems unlikely to me that you will suffer any long term harm from what was said so whether to file a defamation claim or not seems a choice you will not have to make.

Here is a link to a brief overview of Texas defamation laws from the Digital Media Law Project: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/texas-defamation-law

As a note: Your post has nothing to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">