• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what should I do with my Lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anneta

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I had tenants that did not pay me rent for 5 month. They felt that the property was not in "livable condition" (nothing was wrong with the property).
finally I hired a lawyer (should have done it myself) to help me to get my rent and/or evict the tenant. The Mr. Lawyer took the case charging me $200.00 per hour. The tenant hired their Lawyer. Tenants were saying that they put into property almost the same amount of money owned for rent($7,250). they had receipts and contractors invoices. Our lease stated that no repairs or alteration to be done to the property without written permit ion from that owners and after that all the job has to be completed by licensee.
They did not had permit ion nor licensees. On the day of the court their layers offer us that the tenant will move out in 30 days, we can keep deposit. That was not good enough for me because I was paying mortgage all those months +$2,000.00 I already had to pay to my Lawyer. I said we'll go in front of the judge. Then my lawyer comes back to me and saying that their lawyer said that if we do not except that they will request the jury trial. And our lawyer recommended me that I should just get writ of them and forget about it because if we'll go to jury trial it we'll cost me more money in legal fee and time and if the tenant do not have money they would not pay anyways. So, I agreed we signed mutual releases. Now, everyone tells me that the tenants would not be able to go to jury trial because the amount was less than $10,000. And that even if it was over 10k they would have to pay all the money on escrow. Is that true? If yes than what should I do with my Lawyer? Who will compensate all the losses?

stephenk

Unless you want to pay another attorney to determine if you were given faulty advice and then sue your first attorney for malpractice, there is nothing you can do. You signed a release.

Anneta

stephenk said:
Unless you want to pay another attorney to determine if you were given faulty advice and then sue your first attorney for malpractice, there is nothing you can do. You signed a release.
I understand that I can't get anything from the tenants because of that release. But if the advice was faulty will I get compensation from the #1 attorney's insurance or board?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">