• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can be deposed? Don't think state matters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dona_63

What is the name of your state? Illinois and Missouri

My brother has a pending malpractice suit, been going on for over three years, and the other side wants me to come and give a deposition. I am not a party to the lawsuit and have no relevant knowledge about it. I didn't even live in the area at the time. My question is why do I have to give a deposition? I thought that in medical malpractice only the parties name in the suit and those with relevant information had to give deposition, others had to be subpeona'd with good reason. I know that depositions are basically "fishing expeditions", but doesn't this border on harrassment or intimidation and misconduct? :confused:

rmet4nzkx

While you may not believe that there is a reason or you may not want to give a depo you have not provided any facts to provide any advice.

dona_63

deposition

Thanks....It's not that I don't want to, it's the fact that I really don't know anything. I have never spoken to my brother's lawyer in 3 years, I wasn't around to help with the situation. The doctors evidently continued to give him a form of medication that he was allergic to and he is now blind. My sister was the one who took care of everything (taking him to doc appt's and so forth) and she and my brother and all the doctors involved have already been deposed. They tried mediation and that didn't work and the trial is set for August 15. I'm really confused and so is my brother's lawyer. My sister is in contact with him and she's the one who informed me yesterday that I have to go on Thursday. She said my brother's lawyer doesn't know why I have to go and he informed the other side of this, but they haven't given a reason why they want to deposed me.:(

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">