• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$1600 down the drain-bought used car and broke down twice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I bought a 2000 Ford Windstar from a dealer for $5000 who offered a 50% 30 day warranty.

The car broke down after two weeks. It was so far away from the dealer when it broke down, I took it to my local mechanic and I spent $500 to fix it. He also told me that there was another problem which would cost an additional $500. The car broke down again a week later and I was forced to have it towed from the highway and spend money on the towing. The tow truck took the vehicle to the closest mechanic who then told me the car needed a new engine which would cost $5,000. The dealer told me I could return the car and walk away clean from the deal. I bought the car with $1000 and agreement to pay the balance of $4000 off over the next two years. However, the dealrer said I would not get my $1000 back hence I'm out of over 1600.

To date the car is still at the mechanic and he is waiting for someone to get the car off of his lot.

My question is can I get my money back and who is responsible for paying for the towing to get the car back to the dealer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I bought a 2000 Ford Windstar from a dealer for $5000 who offered a 50% 30 day warranty.

The car broke down after two weeks. It was so far away from the dealer when it broke down, I took it to my local mechanic and I spent $500 to fix it. He also told me that there was another problem which would cost an additional $500. The car broke down again a week later and I was forced to have it towed from the highway and spend money on the towing. The tow truck took the vehicle to the closest mechanic who then told me the car needed a new engine which would cost $5,000. The dealer told me I could return the car and walk away clean from the deal. I bought the car with $1000 and agreement to pay the balance of $4000 off over the next two years. However, the dealrer said I would not get my $1000 back hence I'm out of over 1600.

To date the car is still at the mechanic and he is waiting for someone to get the car off of his lot.

My question is can I get my money back and who is responsible for paying for the towing to get the car back to the dealer?
Why should you get any money back? You're lucky the dealer is offering to let you out of the deal for only the $1,000.00.

And, for your other question, it's YOUR responsibility to have YOUR car towed where you need it to be towed.

elg

Why should you get any money back? You're lucky the dealer is offering to let you out of the deal for only the $1,000.00.

And, for your other question, it's YOUR responsibility to have YOUR car towed where you need it to be towed.
I figured that was the case but I was the one who lost money in the end and didn't think that was fair. The man sold me a peice of junk and said it was in good working condition. I took it for a test drive and it worked fine. After a couple of weeks, the steering wheel pump was leaking onto the v-belt and caused it to break, the odometer went out, the ac went out, the radiator was leaking coolant and the head gasket was blown. I just dont think its fair to go through all of that headache on a car just bought from a reputable place. I'm pretty sure the dealer I bought the car from knew that it was in bad shape but he stood their and looked me in the eye and told me it was in good condition.

Zigner

I figured that was the case but I was the one who lost money in the end and didn't think that was fair. The man sold me a peice of junk and said it was in good working condition. I took it for a test drive and it worked fine. After a couple of weeks, the steering wheel pump was leaking onto the v-belt and caused it to break, the odometer went out, the ac went out, the radiator was leaking coolant and the head gasket was blown. I just dont think its fair to go through all of that headache on a car just bought from a reputable place. I'm pretty sure the dealer I bought the car from knew that it was in bad shape but he stood their and looked me in the eye and told me it was in good condition.
You bought a 15 year old car...it took two weeks before it started showing problems. It's entirely possible the dealer didn't know. Apparently, your mechanic who inspected the vehicle prior to you buying it didn't catch anything wrong either.

Just Blue

Next time you buy a car from ANYONE have YOUR TRUSTED Mechanic look it over. It's worth the money...:)

elg

You bought a 15 year old car...it took two weeks before it started showing problems. It's entirely possible the dealer didn't know. Apparently, your mechanic who inspected the vehicle prior to you buying it didn't catch anything wrong either.
Obviously I was the idiot in this case because I did not have a mechanic check it out because I bought a car from this dealership before (same salesman, same make and model and that car was also old but It didn't have any problems with it. He told me that there mechanic checked out the car and it was in good shape. But I have learned a valuable lesson.

Zigner

Obviously I was the idiot in this case because I did not have a mechanic check it out because I bought a car from this dealership before (same salesman, same make and model and that car was also old but It didn't have any problems with it. He told me that there mechanic checked out the car and it was in good shape. But I have learned a valuable lesson.
I'm glad that you have learned a lesson.

You should see to it that the vehicle is removed from the mechanic's location or make other arrangements with him. If not, then you may find yourself owing even more money and having even more headaches.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">