• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2012 Honda Accord Lemon law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rah140

I reside in NJ and My 2012 Honda Accord with 934 miles has paint chipping on the rear quarter panel caused by the tail light lens rubbing against the metal. After three tries, the car still has paint problems on the driver's side. The third time they brought it to a different body shop and the paint is worse than ever. They did not prepare the base-coat properly before they applied the clear-coat. there are now fingerprints along the entire quarter panel which are underneath the paint and cannot be removed. The paint will never be able to be brought back to the factory paint on my brand new vehicle. The value of the vehicle is greatly affected by the paint and I feel they should replace the vehicle.

Do you think I have a strong case?

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

I already read that. My situation is in a gray area.

I think you have no case.

paint is cosmetic, and doesn't make any difference as to the safety or operation of the car.

plus where did you take the car to get repainted?

rah140

I guess your right, you aren't a lawyer. Iif you were you would know that the Lemon Law also applies to defects that affect the value of the vehicle. The car's paint greatly affects the value and I brought it to the dealer where I bought the car. They brought it to two different body shops and they both did a poor job and now the paint is worse than ever.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I already read that. My situation is in a gray area.

I think you have a case, but can't comment on the strength of it. The link I gave (that you said you read) outlines the resolution process.

sandyclaus

I reside in NJ and My 2012 Honda Accord with 934 miles has paint chipping on the rear quarter panel caused by the tail light lens rubbing against the metal. After three tries, the car still has paint problems on the driver's side. The third time they brought it to a different body shop and the paint is worse than ever. They did not prepare the base-coat properly before they applied the clear-coat. there are now fingerprints along the entire quarter panel which are underneath the paint and cannot be removed. The paint will never be able to be brought back to the factory paint on my brand new vehicle. The value of the vehicle is greatly affected by the paint and I feel they should replace the vehicle.

I guess your right, you aren't a lawyer. Iif you were you would know that the Lemon Law also applies to defects that affect the value of the vehicle. The car's paint greatly affects the value and I brought it to the dealer where I bought the car. They brought it to two different body shops and they both did a poor job and now the paint is worse than ever.
While you MAY have a case under your state's Lemon Laws, Zig would be right. The problem you describe is cosmetic in nature. While it may affect the value of the car, it does not affect the MECHANICAL condition of the vehicle, and is in no way a major defect, and so you would most likely NOT be entitled to a whole new vehicle. I'm sure, however, that you could argue for replacement of the rear quarter panels with OEM parts that have been factory-painted to match that of the remainder of the vehicle.

You Are Guilty

The nice thing about the lemon law is it also pays for attorneys fees. That means there are multiple law firms out there who will evaluate your specific case for free,and if they take it, you won't pay a thing. I have referred a number of friends to NJ & PA lemon lawyers in the past, and every one was very satisfied with the result. If you intend to pursue this further, click the "find a lawyer" link on this site and sign up with one of the big NJ players.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While you MAY have a case under your state's Lemon Laws, Zig would be right. The problem you describe is cosmetic in nature. While it may affect the value of the car, it does not affect the MECHANICAL condition of the vehicle, and is in no way a major defect, and so you would most likely NOT be entitled to a whole new vehicle. I'm sure, however, that you could argue for replacement of the rear quarter panels with OEM parts that have been factory-painted to match that of the remainder of the vehicle.
NJ Lemon Law allows for defects that substantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle.. Now, it's just a matter of quantifying the impaired value of the OP's vehicle...

And, replacing quarter-panels is not a remedy that the manufacturer has under the lemon law (ASSuming the car qualifies as a lemon.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">