• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident Disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kerry Jones

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I bought a 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5s back in April of this year from a dealership. We specifically asked if it had been in an accident and they had told us NO. There was some primer on the left panel of the car which I had to argue with them to get them to repaint to which they did. Anyways, a few months later and 8,000 miles forward the service engine soon light comes on and come to find out the Intake Valve Selonoid timing relay is going on and needs a replacement. The labor alone was quoted as $500 - $600 plus the cost of parts. I went to another dealership and decided to trade it in and on the Car Fax it came back as being in an accident with airbags deployed. This devalued the car by $800 - $1000 off my trade-in. I paid the bluebook value of $17,900 for what was suppose to be a car in excellent condition.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I bought a 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5s back in April of this year from a dealership. We specifically asked if it had been in an accident and they had told us NO. There was some primer on the left panel of the car which I had to argue with them to get them to repaint to which they did. Anyways, a few months later and 8,000 miles forward the service engine soon light comes on and come to find out the Intake Valve Selonoid timing relay is going on and needs a replacement. The labor alone was quoted as $500 - $600 plus the cost of parts. I went to another dealership and decided to trade it in and on the Car Fax it came back as being in an accident with airbags deployed. This devalued the car by $800 - $1000 off my trade-in. I paid the bluebook value of $17,900 for what was suppose to be a car in excellent condition.
So, when you were thinking about the vehicle, did you run your own Carfax report? How about getting an independent vehicle inspection by your own mechanic?

The fact that there was primer on the left panel was evidence the vehicle had at least been repainted, and probably due to an accident. The dealer may or may not have known about the accident. If they didn't ask the person who gave them the vehicle, and didn't run their own Carfax, they exercised plausible deniability (if no one told them, then how could they have known themselves?). That's one very good reason why you NEVER buy a used vehicle sight unseen, based upon only the salesman's word that the vehicle is in good shape both mechanically and structurally. That's also why it's your responsibility to have your OWN inspection done on a vehicle in order to get an unbiased evaluation and to discover any potential mechanical or structural issues which may affect safety, longevity, and value of the vehicle. If you didn't do that, and relied solely upon what the salesman told you, that's no one's fault but your own.

It sounds like the issues you've discovered weren't covered in any warranty, or the vehicle was sold to you AS IS. That means the problems are yours. You bought the car, you now own the car AND any problems you failed to discover prior to your purchase.

swalsh411

Dealers will often NOT run a car fax therefore they can truthfully tell you they are not aware of any accident history. You should have done your homework.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">