• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ANy other options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michael.t

In February of 2015 I purchased a used 2010 Audi q5. Upon purchasing the car, I added a 36 month extended warranty from National Auto Care. Recently, my car blew a head gasket with no warning what so ever. I took my car to Audi and they notified me that I would need a new engine. A manager from Audi spoke with an adjuster from NAC and told them the issue. They offered to help pay for an engine, but only up to 3500 dollars. You can barely find a used engine for that price! The total price for a new engine out the door was 17,000 and 12,000 for a used engine. After calling NAC back, Audi was about to go through with a used engine when NAC said no, we do not cover head gaskets. I paid over 2000 dollars extra for this warranty that is supposed to cover my engine, yet they do not cover a head gasket. Thankfully, I have found a place willing to do the installation with a used engine for 5500. Is there any way I can get my money back form this place to help pay for the installation? Is it possible for me to ask my bank to postpone my loan of 25000 for a few months while I pay for the installation? Maybe tell them I will fall back on my loan causing them to lose that 25000 should scare them into letting postpone a few payments?

Just Blue

In February of 2015 I purchased a used 2010 Audi q5. Upon purchasing the car, I added a 36 month extended warranty from National Auto Care. Recently, my car blew a head gasket with no warning what so ever. I took my car to Audi and they notified me that I would need a new engine. A manager from Audi spoke with an adjuster from NAC and told them the issue. They offered to help pay for an engine, but only up to 3500 dollars. You can barely find a used engine for that price! The total price for a new engine out the door was 17,000 and 12,000 for a used engine. After calling NAC back, Audi was about to go through with a used engine when NAC said no, we do not cover head gaskets. I paid over 2000 dollars extra for this warranty that is supposed to cover my engine, yet they do not cover a head gasket. Thankfully, I have found a place willing to do the installation with a used engine for 5500. Is there any way I can get my money back form this place to help pay for the installation? Is it possible for me to ask my bank to postpone my loan of 25000 for a few months while I pay for the installation? Maybe tell them I will fall back on my loan causing them to lose that 25000 should scare them into letting postpone a few payments?
U,S Law Only. What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The bank isn't a party to your service contract so I wouldn't count in any way on them deferring any payments.

As for the service contract - it was up to you to determine what is and what isn't covered when you purchased it. You *may* be able to cancel it and receive a pro-rata refund, but you'll need to consult the contract for your options.

michael.t

The bank isn't a party to your service contract so I wouldn't count in any way on them deferring any payments.

As for the service contract - it was up to you to determine what is and what isn't covered when you purchased it. You *may* be able to cancel it and receive a pro-rata refund, but you'll need to consult the contract for your options.
I just spoke with NAC after posting to the BBB and they said If I could prove that the head gasket failed because of a faulty water pump, gasket, or thermostat, that they would have to cover the repair. I have to know spend more money on towing my vehicle to yet another garage.

Zigner

I just spoke with NAC after posting to the BBB and they said If I could prove that the head gasket failed because of a faulty water pump, gasket, or thermostat, that they would have to cover the repair. I have to know spend more money on towing my vehicle to yet another garage.
What did you post to the BBB for? I'm not seeing that NAC has done anything wrong...

michael.t

What did you post to the BBB for? I'm not seeing that NAC has done anything wrong...
Because after doing some digging around NAC had multiple negative reviews for the same reason. Why not bring a company like this to light? Just so they can scam more people out of thousands?

Zigner

Because after doing some digging around NAC had multiple negative reviews for the same reason. Why not bring a company like this to light? Just so they can scam more people out of thousands?
They have negative reviews because people bought a service contract without knowing what it covers?

michael.t

They have negative reviews because people bought a service contract without knowing what it covers?

I bought this warranty knowing what it was "supposed" to cover. The wording of the small print in the contract is where they scheme their way out. SO in a way yes, I did not exactly read all the fine print as no one else does. No sensors are noted in the contract. They do not cover thermostats, so my only way is to hope and prove that I my water pump went bad.

Zigner

I bought this warranty knowing what it was "supposed" to cover. The wording of the small print in the contract is where they scheme their way out. SO in a way yes, I did not exactly read all the fine print as no one else does. No sensors are noted in the contract. They do not cover thermostats, so my only way is to hope and prove that I my water pump went bad.
One is supposed to fully read and understand what they are signing. If one chooses not to, then one must live with those consequences.

michael.t

One is supposed to fully read and understand what they are signing. If one chooses not to, then one must live with those consequences.
This is very true, but no one rarely does. How many people actually have read their Apple agreement? Ill be honest, I do not. What I am trying to get from this post is insight. Honestly, what you just said is something that I would have said to someone in this position. I guess karma does come around to us *******s

Zigner

This is very true, but no one rarely does. How many people actually have read their Apple agreement? Ill be honest, I do not. What I am trying to get from this post is insight. Honestly, what you just said is something that I would have said to someone in this position. I guess karma does come around to us *******s
I agree - very few people read all of the fine print, but it's there and it's part of the contract. You choose not to read it.

OHRoadwarrior

There is also the issue of how much damage was done after the water pump went bad. Once the engine light or temp gauge read hot, you failing to stop the engine is likely what caused the head gaskets to go. This does not mean it needs a new engine due to head gaskets, it means you should change the engine due to internal wear or rebuild it, which is not a warranty issue. So you see there can be non warranty issues that are not part of the recommended proper way to repair the engine which the owner must eat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">