• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asked dealer for car with no accident, sold me car with accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tman197

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois , chicago
Hi All
I was looking to buy my first car, my bro in law suggested a dealer who would go to dealer auctions for me and buy a car I liked for $300 fee. I asked to go along with him to the auction but he insisted its better if he went alone. He told me he would check everything, if the cars are ok, what they needed etc and tell me about it before buying the specific car. He was suppose to call me when he was at the auction to tell me the details. I specifially told him many times I didnt want a car with any previous accident. He said no problems he would know if they were in accident. After going to only 1 auction he bought me a car without telling me about it first. My inlaw bought his car with this dealer and so i didnt think I would need to take it to the mechanic since the dealer has a shop. I paid $14,500 with tax yesterday and today I hear noise comming from the tires while going 35-45mph and car slows fast after letting go of gas pedal. He told me its the tires, so he rotated them today but still the same. I did carfax and autocheck report on the vin today only to see an accident reported on 2/17/09, I will get the police report tomoro. I didnt tell the dealer i knew for sure it was in an accident. I called and asked him, if it was in an accident will you get me a different one since i specifially asked for car with no accident. He tells me it wasnt in an accident but if it was he will not replace it :eek:. I signed papers stating car is "as-is" but i didnt think that appied to cars with accidents which were not reported to buyer before purchase. he also told me the car would need tires by summer but now says it needs tires now at $400 cost to me. We also had no contract stating i wanted car with no accident, but me and my bother in law told him in person that I wanted car with no accident. What can I do if dealer refuses refund or replacement?
Thank You Much In Advance

swalsh411

You don't have a leg to stand on.

This is why you get a car inspected and run the carfax before you buy it. Any competent mechanic would have noticed the damage right away.

Why don't you think "as-is" applied to your purchase?

You have nothing in writing to show you didn't want a car that hadn't been in an accident and even if you did, you accepted the car.

tman197

i thought if a dealer sells a car with accident and doesnt tell you about it, "as-is" rule doesnt apply. My brother in law witnessed me telling him car with no accident. He assured me the car wasnt in an accident and was not going to buy me any car with accident. The car was at his shop with no plates, insurance etc, my mechanic was at least 5miles away. He bought it before he told me the vin number or anything about it. I deposited $1000 with him before he went to the auction. I thought once he bought the car I was pretty much stuck with it since i deposited the money.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i thought if a dealer sells a car with accident and doesnt tell you about it, "as-is" rule doesnt apply. My brother in law witnessed me telling him car with no accident. He assured me the car wasnt in an accident and was not going to buy me any car with accident. The car was at his shop with no plates, insurance etc, my mechanic was at least 5miles away. He bought it before he told me the vin number or anything about it. I deposited $1000 with him before he went to the auction. I thought once he bought the car I was pretty much stuck with it since i deposited the money.
Enjoy your car.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have purchased a vehicle. You do not have a right to return it. Enjoy said vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">