• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought Car in Alabama from a private seller.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caseybaker

Bought a car in Alabama from a private seller. I was told many many many lies. First he told the car had never had any major work on it and the he told me he was the original owner. Also that he told me the car had no issues what so ever " its a perfect car", he said. So i bought it. 60 miles down the road I check the oil and notice its all gone. Check under the car again because i had checked it prior to driving and it wasnt a leak. It was burning the oil at such a rate it took 4 qt.s of oil to drive 140 miles back home. I tired calling the man but he wont answer. On the other hand he sold me this car as another man. He bought the car then turned around 6 hours later and sold it to me saying he was the original owner. He then forged the signature on the bill of sale and took my money. does the Alabama Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices law in Alabama help me here as a private sale occurred.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Proserpina

Bought a car in Alabama from a private seller. I was told many many many lies. First he told the car had never had any major work on it and the he told me he was the original owner. Also that he told me the car had no issues what so ever " its a perfect car", he said. So i bought it. 60 miles down the road I check the oil and notice its all gone. Check under the car again because i had checked it prior to driving and it wasnt a leak. It was burning the oil at such a rate it took 4 qt.s of oil to drive 140 miles back home. I tired calling the man but he wont answer. On the other hand he sold me this car as another man. He bought the car then turned around 6 hours later and sold it to me saying he was the original owner. He then forged the signature on the bill of sale and took my money. does the Alabama Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices law in Alabama help me here as a private sale occurred.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It would appear that the statute you mention applies only to dealers, wholesalers and the like - not to a private seller.

Did you have the car inspected before you bought it?

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/8/20/8-20-4
You might be able to report the forgery though.

caseybaker

It would appear that the statute you mention applies only to dealers, wholesalers and the like - not to a private seller.

Did you have the car inspected before you bought it?

You might be able to report the forgery though.
I inspected it but unless you took apart the engine you wouldnt have been able to tell. And im not sure if this certin law applies to both because the main lemon law applies to dealers and this extension of the law is said to cover the rest is there anyway for me to check? like i said he sold it to me as a different individual so it could be an illegal sale but I wanted to check on this law first

Proserpina

I inspected it but unless you took apart the engine you wouldnt have been able to tell. And im not sure if this certin law applies to both because the main lemon law applies to dealers and this extension of the law is said to cover the rest is there anyway for me to check? like i said he sold it to me as a different individual so it could be an illegal sale but I wanted to check on this law first

Did you read the statute?

Very commonly, there is little to no protection if you're buying from a regular joe. Where there is, you may be required to mitigate your loss - in other words, have a mechanic check it before you pay.

Forgive the obnoxiously long link, but this summary is decent: http://jamesajohnsonpc.com/consumer-law/i-bought-a-truck-from-a-used-car-lot-and-two-weeks-after-i-had-it-the-transmission-went-out-when-i-took-it-back-to-the-lot-the-owner-told-me-that-he-was-not-responsible-because-i-bought-it-“/

OHRoadwarrior

Apparently, you ignored the color of the tailpipe smoke as well as the odor. I had a friend do the same damage to my car. I knew about it very quickly.

caseybaker

Apparently, you ignored the color of the tailpipe smoke as well as the odor. I had a friend do the same damage to my car. I knew about it very quickly.
it wasnt smoking and it had no dissernable odor because the oil is not making it to the tail pipe according to the mechanic this problem is so severe its not getting to the catalytic converter its being burnt before it get there

Proserpina

it wasnt smoking and it had no dissernable odor because the oil is not making it to the tail pipe according to the mechanic this problem is so severe its not getting to the catalytic converter its being burnt before it get there

Unfortunately that doesn't really change anything.

If you believe fraud is abound, by all means make a police report.

Otherwise, as much as it sucks, you've just become another of the many thousands of people who buy a second-hand car from a private seller and end up with a dummy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">