• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car "Certified Pre-Owned" turns out there was frame damage and I was lied to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaclyn090290

Bought a car "Certified Pre-Owned" turns out there was frame damage and I was lied to

Michigan

So last year I bought a GM Certified Pre-Owned car from one of the very well known dealerships in my area. I found out when I went to trade it in that it had frame damage and the dealership I was looking to trade it in at said they couldn't sell it at there lot. I bought the car for $12,000, which was comprable to all the other 08 Impalas at the lot. There was nothing to lead me to believe it was different than the rest. I asked if it had been in any accidents or had any issues and was told NO. I was told it had gone through a 172 point inspection and was factory new. I sold have gotten a carfax but didn't, I know dumb! Now my $12,000 car has depriciated in value by $7,000 in a year. I went to the dealership last night and confirmed that it was GM Certified. The Auto auction announced the frame damage when they sold it to the dealership. When I bought it we did get the 1 year/ 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for it being a Certified Pre-owned. I am outside the miles and it has been a few days over a year. And unfortunently for there was no way to know about the frame damage until I went to trade it in. When I talked to a manager he said that he is baffled to see this having happened and would have to talk to a higher up person in the dealership. I want them to pay off my loan and take the car back, has anyone ever heard of this happening? Do I have enough of a case for that to be possible? I just don't know how to go about this with the dealership!

ecmst12

Your car would have depreciated in that time with the miles you put on it regardless. I would think at most you should be offered the trade in price as if it did not have the damage. I don't think you have any case to get everything you paid back. If you'd found this out before the warrenty expired you'd be in better shape.

swalsh411

And unfortunently for there was no way to know about the frame damage until I went to trade it in.
Any half decent mechanic could have spotted it.

I want them to pay off my loan and take the car back
NOT going to happen.

"Certified" is just marketing talk and puffery. It carries no legal weight. Your only gauruntee on a used car is a written warrenty and yours has expired.

You should have had this car inspected by your own mechanic before making the purchase, and you should gotten the caxfax.

You drove this car without noticing any problems for a year so why can't you just keep it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">