• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car with flood damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slowryd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Bought the car last weekend and was not told about flood damage until after the test drive. I specifically asked if any water was inside the vehicle and the dealer told me that there was not it was written off because the engine would not start. Driving on the highway the car shut off coming off an exit. The dealer has fixed that problem but after more digging there is rust under the seats and in other places that water would not regularly touch. I did sign a form saying the car had flood damage, Only after I was informed it did not have any water damage in the vehicle. Can i do anything or is this a life lesson? The car does smell musky now that the air freshener has worn off.

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Bought the car last weekend and was not told about flood damage until after the test drive. I specifically asked if any water was inside the vehicle and the dealer told me that there was not it was written off because the engine would not start. Driving on the highway the car shut off coming off an exit. The dealer has fixed that problem but after more digging there is rust under the seats and in other places that water would not regularly touch. I did sign a form saying the car had flood damage, Only after I was informed it did not have any water damage in the vehicle. Can i do anything or is this a life lesson? The car does smell musky now that the air freshener has worn off.

Thank you
Q: Can I do anything?
A: I did sign a form saying the car had flood damage

slowryd

It sounds like you were made aware of the flood damage. I don't see any recourse. Next time, read before signing.
I did read it it was a form explaining that the DMV has examined the car and is safe to drive and also made mention of the flood title. I appreciate the answers btw.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I did read it it was a form explaining that the DMV has examined the car and is safe to drive and also made mention of the flood title. I appreciate the answers btw.
I'm sorry then - what is your question?

Mass_Shyster

Here's what will likely happen:

You go to court and tell the judge that they told you there was no flood damage.

The seller shows the judge a copy of the paper that you signed indicating that there was flood damage.

The judge renders a decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">