• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car, found out it was salvage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justndavd

Hey everybody, my friend was sold a car back in 2012 and was trying to sell it recently only to find out that it was salvage. When he bought the car it was from a large dealership here in san diego which seemed reputable, he was shown a clean carfax and he so he bought the car. fast forward to today and he's trying to sell the car only to find that the title is salvage and he can't even sell it back to the dealership for half of what he paid.

I am wondering what sort of action he should be trying to take to get some justice on this. he spent 16k on a salvage vehicle and was shown a carfax for a vehicle that didn't have a matching vin. i believe he still has that carfax report. any help is appreciated.

FlyingRon

Carfax is ******NOT******** reliable even if it was the right one for the vehicle.

He may be screwed at this point. What makes him think that no matter what the status of the vehicle is that he's entitled to what he paid for it years ago?

We can't give any real information since you deleted the question about what state this took place in instead of answering it.

justalayman

When he received the title way back in 2012 from the state did he somehow not notice it was a branded title?

Just Blue

Hey everybody, my friend was sold a car back in 2012 and was trying to sell it recently only to find out that it was salvage. When he bought the car it was from a large dealership here in san diego which seemed reputable, he was shown a clean carfax and he so he bought the car. fast forward to today and he's trying to sell the car only to find that the title is salvage and he can't even sell it back to the dealership for half of what he paid.

I am wondering what sort of action he should be trying to take to get some justice on this. he spent 16k on a salvage vehicle and was shown a carfax for a vehicle that didn't have a matching vin. i believe he still has that carfax report. any help is appreciated.
Have your friend post for himself. :)

FlyingRon

San Diego is mentioned in the post.
If it's was a California title the definitive information would be in the upper right side of the title in a red box. The title brand would be immediately apparent.
Even if there was a course of action (which I doubt) the fuse is short (2 years) to do anything about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">